Buckets stuck

Page 1 of 2
Is this an engineering problem or what?
Two of the buckets I use around the garden, etc. are stuck, one inside the other. I and other neighbors, strong ones, have tried like hell to separate them. Thumping, prying, banging, even pouring water around the rim of the bottom one. Nada. Niente. Nichts. Rien.
This has become a challenge.
What next? Baby powder? Or...?
HB

Baby powder? Does it have a rash?
A picture would help.
I'd be looking to attach a clamp or vise grips to each and then use the attached parts to gain leverage.
If you can pour water between them, fill the gap and put the whole thing in the freezer.
--
Dan Espen

On 07/30/2011 04:29 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

got an air compressor? if so, use an air blower between the 2 buckets
On 7/30/2011 5:30 PM, ChairMan wrote:

You beat me to it. :-)
TDD
if the buckets are metal use a heat lamp pointed at bottom ( heat expands) outside one then fill inside with cooler water ( cool water will cause it to contract a bit) this should loosen them up.

Twist em opposite directions, while pulling. That's what we do with those big orange barrels you see along the roadways.
I hold the top one by the bail handle, then use a rubber mallet to tap the top edge of the bottom bucket. I'll wet the inside between them first. Most times it works unless the buckets are old, and then they just break. I think they do this on purpose, as it would sure be easy to make them where they come apart easier.
It's a conspiracy, I tell you!
Steve

You didn't give the water enough time. Submerge the buckets overnight.
On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 14:29:28 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

Assuming they're plastic...
Repeatedly swing and strike them against something like a tree. You want the area at the bottom between them/bottom edge to be the impact point/s. -----
- gpsman

You got some interesting suggestions that may work. Worst case scenario is you cut the bottom bucket to allow air in, but save the top (inside) bucket. Or cut the inside one to vent.
If you are really lucky, you maybe able to drill a hole near the top so the bucket is not lost and can hold water up to the hole.

That's half the reason to soak the buckets (to displace the air). Water also helps lubricate the surfaces.
Higgs Boson wrote:

Fill it up with ice cubes.

....and heat up the outside.
Jimmie

Use the area between the bottoms as a piston. Alternatingly heat and cool it, while keeping the rim area of the bottom bucket wet with either water or glycerin (more slippery, doesn't dry up). When you have enough lubrication, insert a small screwdriver or wire between the buckets to allow air in. Should work, but it is better to store the buckets with a small stick between them.
--
Best regards
Han
Higgs Boson wrote:

The solution might depend on what caused the buckets to become stuck.
* Mere deformation pressure? * Corrosion? * Suction? * Several rivets?
On 7/31/2011 7:07 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Some smart ass was playing around with Super Glue.....
TDD
I have drilled a small hole (1/8") in the center of the bottom of the bottom bucket and used an air tip to blow them apart. It works quite well, though the bucket doesn't hold water unless you repair the hole. Many bucket uses do not require water tight.
The bigger issue is what to do to prevent it from happening again. One of the bestfor me is to hang a rag over the rim of the bucket before stacking in another. I would appreciate other ideas.

On 7/31/2011 9:56 AM, DanGLT wrote: ...

The scrap of tubafor or the like in the bottom is simple.
Or, fabricate/attach a permanent lip to the bottom edge as is formed into many of the plastic ones any more. Easier/simpler w/ straight or nearly so ones, larger tapers take more of a lip, of course.
Or, same idea but from the other direction, fasten a collar around the outside to prevent sliding into the other.
On 7/31/2011 11:14 AM, dpb wrote:

Like most 5G buckets come out of the mold with in recent years? You can still nest them, but the inner bucket never goes deeper than the second lip. Takes up a little more space in the truck and warehouse, but a worthy tradeoff to avoid them getting coupled like rutting dogs. (or has that been proven to be a non-urban myth?)
--
aem sends...