Broken drive shaft on mower

I have a self propeled mower with a broken drive shaft, it's a rod that connects the engin to the blade mechanism. It cracked in half one day while I was mowing the yard. I've called a few repair shops and they all want to "take a look" for a fee first.
The mower was about $300. Is this worth trying to fix? are there places that sell this part?

while
Depends on what it is worth to you. Usually when the crank breaks there is a lot more damage than just the crank shaft. Depending on the size of the engine you probably looking at an complete rebuild of the engine. No sense in doing it half assed. Your probably going to spend at lot more than the $300. A rider for that price is unheard of. Might be time to check the want ads
it doesnt matter how much it cost in the past. how much does it cost to replace today? how much does it cost to get it fixed? how old is the mower? do you even like the mower?
randy

while

It's not clear to me what exactly is broken. If it's the crankshaft of the engine, it's likely time for a new mower. If it's some other shaft, that is accessable, then you can find parts online with a simple web search.

That's because many people don't want the fix after they see the estimate. The repair guy is paying a lot for replacement parts compared to what the engine maker is paying by the tens of thousands. If it is an older mower, you can get a new one for little more than a rebuild would cost.

Yes, but other parts may have bed damaged. As long as you have the engine apart, you probably want to replace other stuff as the labor cost is the same. Ed
Thanks to everyone who's responded so far. I did find one place that will give me a quote over the phone if I give them the model number. So, i'll have to grab that and give them a call back.
I bought a riding mower a while back so I really don't need this mower. but, I just hate throwing out something of value.

places
Junk it ,you obviously dont take care of them or know how to be carefull
good point. i guess i shouldn't have used the mower to cut grass, which is how it broke. yes, that's right, i wasn't mowing rocks or anything else. just grass.

I know the concept. Let me help:
Your mower no longer has any value.
Consult: No charge.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

In it's current state, the value of the mower is at best $0. Cut your losses. Walk away.
I talked with someone at a repair shop and they said it wasn't worth fixing.

will
i'll

I'll give you a buck for it, as long as you ship it to me and the shipping cost is included in that buck.
good idea
whats your home address?
wrote:

will
If the drive shaft broke (where the blade hooks on, if it's a walk behind mower) it's not worth the repair. Might be able to get another motor off a machine with a rotted out deck.
The drive shaft is a MAJOR part, and would require total rebuild.
I'm guessing you can get the part, but if you want to put it in yourself figure at least 10 hours or so of work.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

TEN (10) Hours????????????????? Jezzzzzusssssssss Krisssssssstttttttt.................. You are only replacing the crankshaft, NOT making it from iron ore. I could do the job in an hour at most.
Just curious. Do you change your own oil? How many hours does it take to drain and refill the oil? (Just the oil, not including changing the air in your tires).

Just duct tape it back on. You may have to retape it a couple times a year, but tape is cheap.
another great idea!
wrote:

while