brick work + more

Page 1 of 3
my home is old and i want to do renovation. i need to change the fake brick in the front and the siding with a real brick. i got an impression they have to dig beside the foundation and start the brick from there. i also want to demolition my detached garage as it is going to collapse because it is old. my house is small like (10 feet by 12 feet ) from the outside.
i am looking for a contractor who can help me with this and also changing all windows and changing the front porch.
i have been hearing scary stories. i would appreciate if you can recommend any good contractor who will do this relatively small project. i am looking for someone who is honest. reliable and do quality job. i live in Toronto/Canada the west end of the city. Thanks a lot.
leza wang wrote:

And like the tardis, I suppose it's bigger on the inside (I hope) ?

Try Jim Caruk.
http://jimcaruk.com /
On 12-07-2012 20:56, leza wang wrote:

Real brick is heavier than brick veneer and much heavier than siding. Not a good idea unless your foundation already has a ledge for it.
--
Wes Groleau

Promote multi-use trails in northeast Indiana!
On Friday, December 7, 2012 9:47:05 PM UTC-5, Wes Groleau wrote:

Thanks a lot Wes for your help and reply. Can you tell me please why it is not good idea to use real brick? One contractor told me they usually dig 1-3 feet and put concrete blocks and then they put bricks on top of this until the cover all the sides and front. Do you think that might collapse?
I do not think that my house foundation has ledge. I am just assuming since it is an older home. and by the way the size is 15f X 13f (still not sure if i measure that right but it is smaller house)
leza wang wrote:

Why do you feel that you need to remove your "fake-brick" exterior and replace it with real brick?
That is a complete waste of money.
Remove the fake brick if you want - and then add solid-core foam insulation boards to the outside (2-inch thick) and then put conventional vinyl or aluminum siding over it.

I've never heard of anyone going to the trouble of adding a brick exterior to a home that did not originally have a brick exterior when it was made. You would absolutely have to dig down 4 feet at least and pour a concrete foundation to support the bricks. The cost of just putting in the foundation is absurd and would be more than just putting up vinyl or aluminum siding.

There is no way that your house is 15' x 13' - unless it's part of a row-house or tenament block.
Is this a fully-detached house?
Or a duplex?
On Saturday, December 8, 2012 9:27:22 PM UTC-5, Home Guy wrote:

thanks for the reply. i do not know how to measure it. it is small house but not very tiny. it is 1.5 stories, 2 bed rooms 2 small bathrooms.
the veneer bricks are coming off, is some spots i can see the wood. i will try to take pictures and post them here. i want to replace them with something high quality that can last, that is why i thought about real bricks.
it is fully detached house. thanks once again.

probably easier to remove the fake bricks, add a layer of insulation and cover with siding...
or you might be able to leave the fake bricks add insulation and vinyl siding which will last more than a lifetime

try to take pictures and post them here. i want to replace them with something high quality that can last, that is why i thought about real bricks.

frost line and pour a footing to support the support wall - which I would POUR, not block. The two foundations need to be tied together - and the brick properly tied to the framing of the house. Quite common to brick the front and side the rest - or brick the bottom storey and side the top. Unless you are in a neighbourhood where the value of the house would go up more than the cost of the job, I'd just strip the brick, apply new insulation, and side with aluminum or vinyl. I prefer aluminum, myself - but vinyl is cheaper and easier to work with.
On Dec 9, 11:20pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

vinyl has a big advantage not only is it cheaper but alunimum interfers with cell phone service to your home.
plus no one steals vinyl siding but around here people have stripped the outside of vacant homes for the scrap value of alunimum. no longer do they just the copper, some take the cast soil stack, the furnace and ductwork, and even all the copper wiring.
at least the night scrappers are working hard for their money....
On 12-09-2012 23:28, bob haller wrote: > vinyl has a big advantage not only is it cheaper but alunimum

It doesn't interfere with mine.
--
Wes Groleau

If you put garbage in a computer nothing comes out but garbage.

try to take pictures and post them here. i want to replace them with something high quality that can last, that is why i thought about real bricks.

Doesn't bother my cell phone - brick main floor, aluminum upper

If you are in one of THOSE neighbourhoods, the property value is never going to go high enough to pay for thr bricks.
leza wang wrote:

I think if you are able to provide a couple of phots, that would probably help in terms of people giving suggestions etc.
But, even without the photos, my guess is that the suggestions about changing to vinyl siding may turn out to be your best option -- and a lot less expensive than brick.

yeah brick requires digging and installing a new footer to carry the bricks weight. and lots of work tying the entire structure together......
vinyl siding and new windows with added insulation will be far less expensive and lots less work, and you get a better insulated home with lower utility bills:)

# yeah brick requires digging and installing a new footer to carry the # bricks weight. and lots of work tying the entire structure # together...... # # vinyl siding and new windows with added insulation will be far less # expensive and lots less work, and you get a better insulated home with # lower utility bills:)
I've heard of "brick veneer" aka "brick siding" I believe it was mentioned a few years back on This Old House. It's actually brick but only a fraction of an inch thick that you hang just like other siding
On 12-10-2012 21:06, Attila Iskander wrote:

It's what he's got and doesn't want.
--
Wes Groleau

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire!

I disagree He has "fake brick" This is actual brick and/or stone material, NOT some vinyl made to look like brick. It's just that it's not free-standing, but instead attached to the house. So you get the real brick without having to build a supporting foundation for it.
On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 08:26:35 -0600, " Attila Iskander"

It's not that clear exactly what he has. Non-structural brick that covers a house is called "brick veneer". It is brick but doesn't hold up the roof.

That sounded like what he had, to me too.
Oh look someone redefined his addy to try to avoid killfiles
On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 11:44:28 -0600, " Attila Iskander"

Another idiot who can't figure out how to make a killfile.
Just for the terminally stupid people here: My new laptop has to go back for repair. This is same NetBook I was using up until I got it a couple of weeks ago. Now, armed with that information, perhaps you can spend a couple of weeks to design a useful killfile. ...but probably not. The morons are as thick a flies. ...and rocks.

And what makes you imagine that you were not flagged by my filter ? I like knowing what moron trolls like you are up to.
Rest of usual drivel ignored