brick work + more

my home is old and i want to do renovation. i need to change the fake brick= in the front and the siding with a real brick. i got an impression they ha= ve to dig beside the foundation and start the brick from there. i also want= to demolition my detached garage as it is going to collapse because it is = old. my house is small like (10 feet by 12 feet ) from the outside.

i am looking for a contractor who can help me with this and also changing a= ll windows and changing the front porch.

i have been hearing scary stories. i would appreciate if you can recommend = any good contractor who will do this relatively small project. i am lookin= g for someone who is honest. reliable and do quality job. i live in Toronto= /Canada the west end of the city. Thanks a lot.

Reply to
leza wang

And like the tardis, I suppose it's bigger on the inside (I hope) ?

Try Jim Caruk.

Home Guy

the front and the siding with a real brick.

Real brick is heavier than brick veneer and much heavier than siding. Not a good idea unless your foundation already has a ledge for it.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

ck in the front and the siding with a real brick. i got an impression they = have to dig beside the foundation and start the brick from there. i also wa= nt to demolition my detached garage as it is going to collapse because it i= s old. my house is small =A0like (10 feet by 12 feet ) from the outside.

all windows and changing the front porch.

d any good =A0contractor who will do this relatively small project. i am lo= oking for someone who is honest. reliable and do quality job. i live in Tor= onto/Canada the west end of the city. Thanks a lot.

Ten feet by twelve??? Are you a troll? If it's really that small, better/cheaper to demolish and start again.

Reply to
harry

I've seen houses that small, maybe even a bit less. There are many in Pacific Grove, California. I suspect they originally housed workers.

I've also seen a whole bunch of two story houses in Skokie, Illinois that were 20' X 20'. Much bigger than the above but still small.

The plantation houses in Hawaii that housed cane field workers were all very small too, don't racall the precise size.

Reply to
dadiOH

Be warned that some of these tasks (rebuilding with solid brick) require a building permit although others (new windows) do not. Consult the municipal building permits office.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

We have a smaller one but it is not deemed fit for habitation.

Except for illegles lliving in sheds in some places.

Reply to
harry

Where "just west of Toronto"? If he's in the "green belt" he can not knock it down and rebuild - he HAS to renovate. Can't get a permit to build new or rebuild. Sounds like he's along the Hwy 6 corridor - I know several homes of that rough description in that area. If, however he is "in Toronto" "west end of the city" that covers a lot of territory. Is he "in toronto" or in Brampton, Mississauga, Etobicoke,Oakville, Erin Mills, Vaughan,Woodbridge, or any of a host of other smaller "entities" inside the GTA (Greater Toronto Area)

Reply to
clare

You know of several *homes* that are 10 x 12 feet in size?

120 sq. feet?

My main bathroom is at least that size.

Reply to
Home Guy

rick in the front and the siding with a real brick.

Thanks a lot Wes for your help and reply. Can you tell me please why it is = not good idea to use real brick? One contractor told me they usually dig 1-=

3 feet and put concrete blocks and then they put bricks on top of this unti= l the cover all the sides and front. Do you think that might collapse?=20

I do not think that my house foundation has ledge. I am just assuming since= it is an older home. and by the way the size is 15f X 13f (still not sure = if i measure that right but it is smaller house)

Reply to
leza wang

Why do you feel that you need to remove your "fake-brick" exterior and replace it with real brick?

That is a complete waste of money.

Remove the fake brick if you want - and then add solid-core foam insulation boards to the outside (2-inch thick) and then put conventional vinyl or aluminum siding over it.

I've never heard of anyone going to the trouble of adding a brick exterior to a home that did not originally have a brick exterior when it was made. You would absolutely have to dig down 4 feet at least and pour a concrete foundation to support the bricks. The cost of just putting in the foundation is absurd and would be more than just putting up vinyl or aluminum siding.

There is no way that your house is 15' x 13' - unless it's part of a row-house or tenament block.

Is this a fully-detached house?

Or a duplex?

Reply to
Home Guy

good idea to use real brick? One contractor told me they usually dig 1-3 feet and put concrete blocks and then they put bricks on top of this until the cover all the sides and front. Do you think that might collapse?

Because it is too heavy. Something BELOW it has to support the weight. Siding and "fake brick" are light enough for adhesive or fasteners to have the walls hold it up. Real brick is too heavy for that. But digging a hole and putting in blocks or additional foundation to support the brick might work. I understand the principle but I don't know the exact numbers. Ask an architect or a mason.

is an older home. and by the way the size is 15f X 13f (still not sure if i measure that right but it is smaller house)

Reply to
Wes Groleau

thanks for the reply. i do not know how to measure it. it is small house but not very tiny. it is 1.5 stories, 2 bed rooms 2 small bathrooms.

the veneer bricks are coming off, is some spots i can see the wood. i will try to take pictures and post them here. i want to replace them with something high quality that can last, that is why i thought about real bricks.

it is fully detached house. thanks once again.

Reply to
leza wang

but not very tiny. it is 1.5 stories, 2 bed rooms 2 small bathrooms.

l try to take pictures and post them here. i want to replace them with some= thing high quality that can last, that is why i thought about real bricks.

probably easier to remove the fake bricks, add a layer of insulation and cover with siding...

or you might be able to leave the fake bricks add insulation and vinyl siding which will last more than a lifetime

Reply to
bob haller

not very tiny. it is 1.5 stories, 2 bed rooms 2 small bathrooms.

try to take pictures and post them here. i want to replace them with something high quality that can last, that is why i thought about real bricks.

I have heard of it being done - but they need to get down below the frost line and pour a footing to support the support wall - which I would POUR, not block. The two foundations need to be tied together - and the brick properly tied to the framing of the house. Quite common to brick the front and side the rest - or brick the bottom storey and side the top. Unless you are in a neighbourhood where the value of the house would go up more than the cost of the job, I'd just strip the brick, apply new insulation, and side with aluminum or vinyl. I prefer aluminum, myself - but vinyl is cheaper and easier to work with.

Reply to
clare

se but not very tiny. it is 1.5 stories, 2 bed rooms 2 small bathrooms.

will try to take pictures and post them here. i want to replace them with s= omething high quality that can last, that is why i thought about real brick= s.

vinyl has a big advantage not only is it cheaper but alunimum interfers with cell phone service to your home.

plus no one steals vinyl siding but around here people have stripped the outside of vacant homes for the scrap value of alunimum. no longer do they just the copper, some take the cast soil stack, the furnace and ductwork, and even all the copper wiring.

at least the night scrappers are working hard for their money....

Reply to
bob haller

On 12-09-2012 23:28, bob haller wrote: > vinyl has a big advantage not only is it cheaper but alunimum

It doesn't interfere with mine.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

but not very tiny. it is 1.5 stories, 2 bed rooms 2 small bathrooms.

try to take pictures and post them here. i want to replace them with something high quality that can last, that is why i thought about real bricks.

Doesn't bother my cell phone - brick main floor, aluminum upper

If you are in one of THOSE neighbourhoods, the property value is never going to go high enough to pay for thr bricks.

Reply to
clare

I think if you are able to provide a couple of phots, that would probably help in terms of people giving suggestions etc.

But, even without the photos, my guess is that the suggestions about changing to vinyl siding may turn out to be your best option -- and a lot less expensive than brick.

Reply to
TomR

yeah brick requires digging and installing a new footer to carry the bricks weight. and lots of work tying the entire structure together......

vinyl siding and new windows with added insulation will be far less expensive and lots less work, and you get a better insulated home with lower utility bills:)

Reply to
bob haller