Reroofing in this weather?

Hmmm, My next door neighbor had reroofing job done in the snow with temp. of

10 deg. or so below freezing. Wondering if that was a good idea? I noticed work crew was Mexican family including woman.
Reply to
Tony Hwang

Conventional theory says that putting up shingle (I assume we're talking about asphalt shingles) in the cold is bad practice. Shingles are brittle, prone to developing internal cracks while being handled / walked on, and won't seal / flatten out properly (which is a problem when its windy).

Home construction has ground to a halt in the US. Those people gota work somewhere.

Or else they buy a few extra power tools and call themselves cabinet makers.

Reply to
Home Guy

Hmmm, Stacks of shingles were delivered onto the roof top couple weeks ago getting frozen pretty good, Huh? Way up there on a 2 story house. Probably they got some discount but I can hardly think it's worth while. Will see when next summer comes around.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Certainly not the best time, but if the roof had other serious issues, better to replace it before the ice and snow do more damage to the decking.

Women can swing a hammer too. Not the one I'm married to though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I asked my roofer about 2 years this question and they told me until freezing. If I recall, it had to do with slipping off the roof.

Reply to
Doug

I did a porch roof in November, Chicago area, a bunch of years ago. Roof was on the north side of the house. Those shingles never did properly seal down, even though that was a warmer year. I would personally wait for warmer weather where you can have some good direct sun.

Reply to
Art Todesco

One spring back during the housing bubble my next door neighbor hired a girlfriend's husband's roofing company to put on a new roof. The couple split shortly afterward, and ex-hubby apparently was in no hurry to take care of one of his ex-wive's friends. He stalled her right into the end of December, when, in a typical Minnesota winter, I got to watch a couple guys lift a snowblower onto the roof and blow off all the snow so they could do the tear-off. A week later and they were back, shoveling the snow off the temporary tarp covering, and finally putting down the new shingles. They didn't get back to do the flashing till spring.

My neighbor is a very kind and generous woman, so she felt sorry for this guy and let him take advantage of her this way. OTOH, it's been nearly a decade and the roof's still sound, so...

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

Oh, I don't know. I'll bet she could hit your head with it, given provocation.

Reply to
Smitty Two

That is possible, but she has never driven a nail that I'm aware of. Not held a gas pump hose, tire iron, checked oil or air pressure.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski