Brick Re-Pointing Tool Suggestions?

My home was built in the 1940's. When I purchased it several years ago the home inspector told me that I would need to sand down the metal lentils above the doors and windows and paint and recaulk them. I'm starting the job now and it seems that the moisture and rust from the lentils has step cracked the pointing around the openings. I've read a good deal about repointing on the web but I've yet to discover the correct tool for removing the old mortar. I'm thinking some type of grinder or rotary tool. Anybody have any experience with this? Could you suggest a list of tools I'll need for this job? Thanks. Snappa

Reply to
snapperhead

This may be heresy but I used a screwdriver. Did the whole outside of the brick foundation that way, gosh, like 15 years ago, still looks fine.

The 'real' way is with a chisel like device and grinding tools if I recall this Old House correctly (from back when they showed you how to do things, not how to build 10 million dollar room additions).

Key is to get down to clean brick and what's left of the stable, clean, dry mortar. The proper way also creates a shape in the existing mortar that helps hold on to the new mortar.

But me, I'd use a flat head screwdriver, brush it out, and cram the mortar in there.

Reply to
roger61611

Americans have no clue when it comes to poiting brick or stone. The finest masons are always french. Good source for tools is

or

-- Troweller^nospam^@canada.com

Reply to
ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy

I always look forward to reading your posts. They have that certain child-like grasp of capitalization and spelling that somehow makes reading them fun.

Your first link is a search portal - one step below useless. The other link is for a company from Marshalltown, Iowa. You can't get much more American than that. Thanks for helping out the economy.

RicodJour

I always look forward to reading your posts. They have that certain child-like grasp of capitalization and spelling that somehow makes reading them fun.

Your first link is a search portal - one step below useless. The other link is for a company from Marshalltown, Iowa. You can't get much more American than that. Thanks for helping out the economy.

RicodJour

Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions. You mention: "The best tool for clearing out the old mortar is an angle grinder with a

1/4" thick segmented diamond wheel. " This makes allot of sense to me. Do you recommend a powerful grinder (9A which in the hands of a novice could get out of hand and damage surrounding brick or a lower powered unit (5A which may not last the life of the project)? Is variable speed an important option? I don't project much use for this tool after completing this project but anything I spend will be worth it if I can complete this task. Thanks again. Snappa
Reply to
snapperhead