brass threaded pipe for supply line to icemaker

Kitchen recently remodeled. Cabinet installer ran 20-feet of soft copper tubing from sink to refrigerator. Not enough slack behind refrigerator. I don't like the path of the tubing. It could be pinched or broken.
I should have had a new copper-pipe supply line run from the kitchen sink to the refrigerator. Now, it would be very difficult to sweat a rigid line in the back of the new cabinets.
The McMaster-Carr catalog lists red brass threaded pipe (schedule 40, WWN-351a, ASTM B43-91) and red brass threaded fittings.
Is red-brass threaded pipe appropriate for a rigid line from the kitchen sink to the wall behind the refrigerator?
Thanks,
Joel Zink snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com
jzink0883 wrote:

It may be appropriate but sure sounds like overkill.
You could run 1/2" Type L (5/8 OD) soft tube and use compression fittings (or even flare) if soldering is out of the question. Could be smaller diam too since the flow to the fridg is negligible.
Jim
jzink0883 wrote:

It'll work, but if you can do it, why can't you do the regular copper? Other than some heat shielding for the soldering, you'll still need access so that wouldn't seem to be the limiting factor...
Alternatively, how/where is the existing tubing run? Can you not protect it to the point of the junction behind the refrigerator and then add some additional line there for the accessibility?
Duane Bozarth wrote:

And, one could also sweat threaded fittings onto solid and assemble them if one were so inclined...
As SpeedyJim notes, the brass pipe is _way_ overkill for the job.
Ever hear of plastic tubing? It is flexible and durable.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I'm assuming if OP wasn't satisfied w/ flex copper he isn't going to be satisfied w/ plastic tubing, either. :)
On 24 Nov 2005 11:43:43 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Maybe vinyl?, or something, but the polyethylene? tubing that is very often packaged with ice makers and humidifiers is NOT durable.
Even if installed with no sharp bends and away from any heat sources, it can still spring leaks within a 2 or 3 years. I know at least two cases, and I don't have many friends. :)