Newbie Electrical Question

In another thread, I was asking about heating a crawlspace in my cottage. Here is a different, follow-up question.

The previous owner (who lived there year round) had a heater in the crawlspace. The heater doesn't work (and had not thermostat etc anyway), but the plug he used was usual to me. I must confess that I am clueless about this stuff, but it looks like this

. The place is wire at 120 V only, and the recepticle is for thinner prongs than the big 220 plugs. Can anyone tell me what this outlet is? And is it materially different than a regular outlet (i.e., if I was going to put a heater, is that a better outlet that a "normal" outlet)? Finally, does anyone know where I would buy a heater which would fit such an outlet.

Thanks,

Gideon

Reply to
gideonf

That's just a 15A/220V outlet. The design is intended to prevent using a 110V appliance or a 220V appliance needing more than 15A service.

As for finding something using that plug style, it would need to be a

220V/15A rated device.

Would be good to know what the service breaker for the circuit is and what the wiring is before going too far. If it is really a 15A service, you'll not want to get something larger than that and change its plug to match, for example.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

As it says in the link, it is a 15 amp 240 volt outlet. If it is in fact connected to a 15 amp 240 volt circuit, you'll need a heater to match. Places like

will sell such items. You can also have an electrician convert the line and outlet to 15 amp 120 volt and use a garden variety heater

Reply to
RBM

15 amp 220volt.

Yep it is wired up as a 220 outlet, not 110. Fine for things like heaters.

No but any heater that takes a 220v 15amp outlet would work, you could change the plug or socket to match.

As you have found, heaters are about the only common (in the US of A)

220v appliance.
Reply to
John Hines

Obviously not -- that's a 220V receptacle.

That's because it's for lower-current devices than the appliances that use "the big 220 plugs" such as ranges and dryers.

That web site tells you *exactly* what that outlet is: a 15A 220V receptacle.

It's a 220V outlet. Not "better" or "worse". Just 220V. Don't attempt to plug a 120V device into it, and don't even *think* about replacing it with a 120V receptacle so you can -- that's just *begging* for an electrical fire.

Any place that sells 220V heaters...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Reply to
Don Young

Grainger does sell such and item, but if you are not a contractor or a business and can price it solidly, ie 3 forms of business ID, they will send you packing. As will most supply houses. Start where you will end up, and call a pro..

RBM (remove this) wrote:

Reply to
fram_james

The picture that you showed is what it says. 220v 15amp. Check both sides of the outlet with a meter. See if you are putting out 120 on both sides. Are you sure that the pic you posted is just like what you have. There is a 120v 30amp outlet. I myself have never seen one in a house, but some Motor Homes have these. Here is a link

Notice the difference in the prong position.

If you are unsure about things get a pro in to do the job right.

ChrisGw

Reply to
ChrisGW

Thanks, Don. I am completely clueless, but my home inspector clearly told me I was only wired for 120. I might be mistaken as to the actual outlet used, but it sure looks like that!

I think I may take a combination of the groups' advice and just hire an electician to instal a well pump heater.

Thanks again,

Gideon

Reply to
gideonf

McMaster-Carr is happy to sell to anyone, I've ordered from them many times.

Search for 3688K72. Multi-Mount Forced-Air Heater. Even shows a picture of the plug! States that it works with 208V as well, with reduced output.

With heaters, they can operate at lower voltages with reduced output. However not all motors will work down to 120V, on the forced air models.

Reply to
SMS

Good call on Mcmaster, they will have a min order though, I belive, don't hold me to it. but on this ytpe of item it should easily make the $25 min, if indeed they still have one in place. Still, as another post said, if you at all unsure about anything, get the help of a professional, let them be liable and take the risk. Electricty is no joke, LOL. I only say that because I used to ork for WWG, and have had to deal with some really crazy things from do it yourselfers. Like the time I had a person (homeowner) call me and ask if I might be able to sell them some gloves, I said "no problem, just come on down", thinking I would be helping the guy out and doing him a favor if it was a glove that he couldn't get from a local retailer. However, when he got to the branch we learned that he was attempting to make some changes to the "electrical box" in his home, and wanted gloves that would protect him from the current when he grabbed onto it... I don't think so, LOL. There is such a product, as in a Linesman's Glove, but that is not something to be messing with. And we had to politely decline the sale..I have a million of them. But it sounds like you have a good grip on your situation. The people here can be helpfull, still, please be carefull.

JMS

SMS wrote:

Reply to
fram_james

You can get around that B2B stuff, just tell them you will bring it next time, or just give them any business card, and they will usually let you fly with pretty much anything you want. If that doesnt work, just demand to speak to the manager, who will want nothing to do with you and will have no idea what you are looking for anyways as the counter\\branch people (including managers) have very little product knowledge or training, and will give you exactly what you want just to get rid of you, lol.

Reply to
ranger4dave