Books about home building

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody could recommend a decent book on hiring a builder for your new home. I've never built my own house, and thinking about it. I'd like to move out to a subdivision where a builder does everything for you. All you do (to my knowledge) is pick a floorplan, the colors, and some stuff in between. :)

All the books that I've found are ones that are if you were to build your house from scratch. While this is a good source of information, I'm really just looking for something like you should do this and watch that. For example, while they're building, take lots of pictures. Make sure the piping is fastened properly. If you see a

2x4 that is all gnarled and in bad condition, knock it out...etc. It would also be good to know how to properly bring it to the attention of somebody, instead of doing it yourself and hten having somebody get upset about it.

So, if anybody could recommend a book, that would be great...or a web site....or anything like that.

Thanks!

Reply to
wiz561

alt.binaries.e-book.technical

You may get lucky

Reply to
Metspitzer

Sounds like you want to be a building inspector and more on your own project without much background. Besides the technical part, negotiating and management skills are essential. There are an intimidating number of bases to cover, so many in fact that it might be simply wiser and less hassle to talk to a registered architect or engineer with respect to helping you. In the end it could be cheaper and you may well learn valuable insights from the pro. Something to think about.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Forget all that crap and spend your time finding the right contractor/builder...Spending your time doing that will pay off more than any book you will find...HTH...Word of mouth is best...

Reply to
benick