Big Screen TV Hitachi

My Hitachi 60 inch screen is about 7 years old. I suddenly lost color and the picture is very fuzzy.

This happens with the satellite input and the DVD input. There are three video inputs and all three act the same. The images are bad and the text cannot be read (like during a football game !)

The TV menu appears toi be unaffected. The menu screens are still in color (the normal color they have alwats been) and the text is clear and sharp.

Any suggestions? My 5 year extended warramty has run out and it's the middle of football season !!!

ps, can I turn off NFL sunday ticket and get a refund?

Reply to
qwef

Can it, buy a new flat wall TV for about $7000 and watch the game tomorrow.

Or try posting to a TV or electronics newsgroup.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hi, Since menu display is normal, your signal quality changed from the dish? Worth checking it out. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

It sounds like there is some circuitry which is shared by all of the "external" sources that is not common to the internal signal generator which shows up as your menus. For an experienced troubleshooter, that's a *great* starting point. (read: makes it easier to diagnose.)

Uhhh, service call? You, me, or just about anybody reading here (unless they happen to be a veteran TV repairman and/or Hitachi- trained service tech) can't really see it from here, and even if somebody told you that you have a bad "frimjammer" or "hoozitz", would you be competent enough to open it up, find a replacement part, and fix it?

That's between you and the good folks at DirectTV. Time to break out the magnifying glass and read the fine print on your service agreement.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Have a TV repairman come in and replace, repair, or readjust the RGB projectors. If you are lucky, it will be the latter.

Reply to
willshak

Well, the DVD signal is the same. Lousy. I put the DVD S-Video signal in all three inputs. Same result.

Reply to
qwef

That's what I was thinking. The three guns are probab;y ok but whatever switches the video to the screen is screwed up.

Guess I'm just hoping someone has experianced it, fixed it, or had someone fix it for them. I manage a service department (two-way police radios), and I do have a BS in Elect Eng. Just hoping...

I had some good advice from these groups before in fixing my hot water heater and my stove.

You never know.

Reply to
qwef

There is a button to push to align the dots. Have you done that yet?

Reply to
Art

There is a menu selection for "Convergence Adjust". That's the closest I can see. I tried that. They crosshairs looked lined up but I adjusted anyway.

No luck.

same problem.

It looks very much like bad reception from the old rabbit ears or roof top antenna.

But the SAT looks good on the other two TV's and the DVD input on the big screen also look terrible.

Thanks for the input though. I appreciate it.

By the way, I also pressed the "reset" in the menu to set all adjustments to factory default.

Reply to
qwef

Exactly. Anybody telling you to fix the "display" portion has totally ignored what you wrote about the menus. The display is capable of projecting a good picture of the menu, which means the problem is "up front" somewhere.

Maybe not so much in the switching, but maybe an inter-stage video amplifier that is somewhere in the path. YOu might want to try and order schematics and turn your techs loose on it. Even though it's a TV, it's still basic troubleshooting, isolate the problem.

Well, there you go! You DO fit the "competent enough to fix it" profile, unlike about 90% of the people who would typically step up and ask this question. I stand semi-corrected .

That's true, it never hurts to ask.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

try the alt.home-theater.misc newsgroup. there should be someone there that can help you. you may even find its a 'common' problem for your model with a fairly simple solution if you're lucky.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Is it plugged into a surger protector? Unplug it and try the ac outlet in case the surge protector is bad.

Reply to
Art

BWA HA HAAA HA HAAAA! That's precious!

That was the CLUE FACTORY on line 1 for you. Too bad you slept through the call.

Either that or you are a sales rep for Best Buy and they have you brainwashed that surge protectors and Monster Cables can solve/avoid problems. Having no troubleshooting skills would be one thing, but this would be tragic.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz