Big project

I am on a committee to build a park. We want to put a gazebo in the park w/ an area to have a stove that is lockable and a place to put mowers and such in the back. Any suggestions on where to look for plans?
--
Dymphna
Message origin:

re: "Any suggestions on where to look for plans?"
At an architectural firm that knows the building and municipal codes for your area.
This doesn't sound like a DIY project. If it's on public land (or even if it's not) you've got a ton of regulations to deal with - everything from parking, ingress/egress, sanitation, insurance, etc. etc.
Mowers, huh? So you'll be storing flammable liquids in the building, right?
A stove, huh? What kind of fuel? Who will design the system, pull the proper permits and install the utilities?
Besides dealing with all of the regs, a good architectural firm will handle things like designing (and positioning) the structure to take advantage of sun,wind, water run off, etc.
Sounds to me like the committee's focus shouldn't be on building the park, at least not at this point. It sounds like the committee's focus should be on finding a firm to help you design the park, with one of the requirements being that you want this to be a "hands on project" as much as possible.
DerbyDad03;2998695 Wrote: > On Aug 7, 12:08 pm, Dymphna
> wrote: > > I am on a committee to build a park. We want to put a gazebo in the > park > > w/ an area to have a stove that is lockable and a place to put mowers > > and such in the back. Any suggestions on where to look for plans? > > > > -- > > Dymphna > > Message origin:'www.TRAVEL.com' (http://www.TRAVEL.com ) > > re: "Any suggestions on where to look for plans?" > > At an architectural firm that knows the building and municipal codes > for your area. > > This doesn't sound like a DIY project. If it's on public land (or even > if it's not) you've got a ton of regulations to deal with - everything > from parking, ingress/egress, sanitation, insurance, etc. etc. > > Mowers, huh? So you'll be storing flammable liquids in the building, > right? > > A stove, huh? What kind of fuel? Who will design the system, pull the > proper permits and install the utilities? > > Besides dealing with all of the regs, a good architectural firm will > handle things like designing (and positioning) the structure to take > advantage of sun,wind, water run off, etc. > > Sounds to me like the committee's focus shouldn't be on building the > park, at least not at this point. It sounds like the committee's focus > should be on finding a firm to help you design the park, with one of > the requirements being that you want this to be a "hands on project" > as much as possible. It is a community project. We are not big enough to have those regulations - we don't even have a city government. The only ordnance we have is a leash law.
We don't have much money - so unless the firm is willing to donate their services - that is out. We want to put in a propane stove that can be rented for receptions and such.
--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

do you have building codes? is your community part of any other town, city, or county that does? which private or public organization is going to accept liability or provide insurance that the structure you build isn't going to collapse on someone?
you may only know about a leash law, but there are a host of other ordinances that you are subject to imposed by other government entities who have jurisdiction.
On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 11:08:27 -0500, Dymphna

A lot depends on where you are and what the rules/codes/laws are. If you are in a place that is silly about permits you probably can't be "owner/builder on common property and you will need a general contractor. We tried this in my community and after 2 years of wrangling about it we gave up. About the time we got the county happy the HOA changed their mind.