Best suction in home vacu

C > What's the best vacuum cleaner for home use? Is there one that is known for C > having better/more powerful suction than others? On another thread here, I ee C > that there is a question about shop vacs. Am I correct in assuming that the C > advantage of a shop vac would be that it just picks up larger particles, bu

C > that it wouldn't necessarily have better suction for fine particles? Thanks for C > any advice.

Part of the answer is your preferences. Your inquiry was somewhat vague: didn't specify upright or canister (or central). Shop vacs would probably have a high rating except have too much suction: darn nozzle keeps getting stuck to the floor because of "too much" suction. Also, like canisters, some people don't like "that thing" following them around getting caught on corners. OTOH some people don't like shoving "that thing" around (uprights).

As far as suction, don't go by the bowling ball trick. How many times are you going to attempt to suck up a bowling ball? Or even a tennis ball. ...Now sucking up marbles, is a possibility. Sand, small clumps of dirt, etc., become fast-moving projectiles and can shatter the impeller (the fan that makes the suction). Shear off a fin, loss of suction. Generally better to get a filter-first rather than a fan-first. Also, the dirt should be deposited into the bag from the top; with bottom-fill bags you are pushing the previously collected dirt up to collect the new dirt.

One way to test for suction is to sprinkle sand on the store's carpet, then grind it in a little. (A short-step walk back and forth across the dirt field is sufficient.) Vacuum up the sand with the first vacuum you like, then try the second vac. If the second vacuum picks up sand it's picking up sand left by the first vacuum! Don't add sand between the first and second vacuum's trials. Proper test is to vaccum the test field with as many sweeps with the first vacuum as it takes to get out all the sand, so the first one would indicate the carpet is clean, then try with the second one.

  • Digital circuits are made from analog parts.
Reply to
barry martin

The best vacuum by far is the Rainbow by Rexair.

It's expensive and you must have perseverance and dedication to a clean house and clean air to use it properly. My second choice is an Orec. Good luck!

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation. -- WCF

Darrell

As well as a fat checking account. Never bought one, but I've used two. I'm not impressed. While not bad, they are much overpriced, IMO. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks very much to all of you for your replies!!

Reply to
Chemqueries

I hope someone suggested a central vac.

IMHO you can't beat these for sucking power, removal of dust (with an outside air discharge), convenience and home resale value. The only down side being the requirement to install it.

Got central vac when kitchen was overhauled. It only to 5 outlets to cover our house. The alcove connection services 3 rooms. My favorite one is in the kitchen and garage, its like a permanetly mounted dust pan you just sweep into it and hit the button and the the gibblets that fell on the floor are gone. cost me about $1700 USD installed.

Reply to
Jimmy