Best portable hand-held vacuum cleaner

I've been looking for a reliable battery-powered vacuum cleaner. Important points: Reliable batteries, easy to find replacements. Versatile, able to reach corners. Easy to clean! The obvious: Good vacuum, efficiency

I had a Delonghi that would trap dirt inside the badly designed internal parts. Horrible to clean.

Some that come to mind: Black and Decker Dustbuster:

Shark:

Dirt Devil: (Don't have a link on hand)

Can any of those knowledgable about these things please help to tip the scales?

Reply to
_dee_

I do not have a hand-held but I can assure you that Dirt Devil makes the worst junk I've ever seen in the upright variety.

Reply to
philo

I used to use the older style DustBusters. I stopped using them because I could always smell the dust that would blow out of the side vents. I can't actually confirm that dust came out, but it seemed to me that if I smelled it, it must be blowing out. It would gross me out if a family member used it to clean crumbs off of a table or counter. It always seemed to me (because of the smell) that the device was picking up the crumbs but laying dust down on everything around it.

My wife bought a Shark mini-electric vacuum a few years back. It was a piece of crap in so many ways that it sat in a closet for a year before I finally threw it out. I can't speak to their handhelds, but if the electric mini is any indication of the Shark brand quality, I'd stay away from it.

My go-to vacuum for small jobs is this one:

I had one of the original Electrolux Mighty Mites for over 20 years. It was physically beat up but still worked great. I gave it to my son 5 years ago and bought the new one. He still uses the old one for his car, stairs, etc.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

We have two dustbusters and I see the better one, 14.4 volts costs $75 at Amazon and batteries are $40. If Bed Bath and Beyond sells it for $50 they may not have batteries so who would buy a $40 battery for a $50 vacuum.

That's the annoyance of most battery powered equipment.

Reply to
Frank

That looks like a nice vacuum. It appears to be 120v AC powered though. I'll check with Electrolux to see if they have a portable.

I just threw out an ancient Electrolux XXX from probably before I was born. The thing still worked, but it wasn't as efficient as my current Miele (which has been great so far).

Reply to
_dee_

ne. He still uses the old one for his car, stairs, etc.

I still have an Electrolux I found up in an attic 40 years ago... it was probably 15 years old at the time.

It still operates with full suction. The secret is not using a bag made by another company. If you use an Electrolux bag they will work great.

Most (but not necessarily all) replacement bags do no work well.

Reply to
philo

Do not expect a recent Electrolux to last as long as the old ones did.

Reply to
Neill Massello

I've got by with a dirt devil. I also have a little AC corded bagged dirt devil brush unit. Bigger, got Hoover, Kirby, two old electrolux. Sear shop, and rugged shop vac.

I never leave the thing plugged into charger for long. A few years old and still going. I use it for hair balls and quick pick ups.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

This review says Black & Decker is the only brand that really works:

zthothe

Miss Recktum's hungry old arse can do that even better: sucks in any big thing quickly! LOL

Reply to
The Peeler

The Mighty Mite is the best small vac made in my opinion (but not battery o perated). We use one to vacuum the hair at a vet clinic. It is used 6 night s a week and lasts for years. After much use, the cord develops an internal break from flexing where it exits the machine. Then you can take it apart and rewire it to make like new again. The vac is made by Electrolux and is sold under both the Electrolux and Eureka names. Price ranges from about $7

0 to over $100. Some of the more expensive models have a metal wand but the plastic is better.
Reply to
Ameri-Clean