Best replacement double pain windows

Who makes the best replacement double pain windows?

Reply to
kirk Wilson

They all give a lot of pain if you break the panes.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

any that dont fit properly will surely be a double pain..

randy

Reply to
xrongor

I've never heard of double pain windows. Is that like when you smash your finger with a hammer, and then drop the hammer on your toe?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You need double aspirin after doing double pain windows...

Reply to
Bert Byfield

I just purchased 10 Jeld-wen windows low-e+argon for $1800CAD with a Lifetime warranty. Energy rating are excellent.

Martik

Come on guys, give Kirk a break. They stopped teaching spelling in schools in 1955!

Reply to
Dave Combs

I forgot about that. Sorry, Kirk.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Andersen makes only new construction windows. They have the mounting flange that is supposed to be under the exterior siding. However, I have installed a few with the flange on the outside of the house with a few 1x3 or 1x4 sticks to cover the flange. On the inside, I make my own jamb extenders out of 1/2" plywood. This is mostly covered by the interior case molding. With adequate caulking and "Great Stuff" it all looks fine and is weather proof.

That being said, I do have problems with Andersen quality. It seems to vary over time. I have two supposedly identical large bay windows which were bought 7 years apart in time. The more recent one had gouges in the seat board, half the screws that held the crank mechanism in were missing. The window closers were plastic instead of metal on the earlier units. But when I finish replacing the windows, I would like them to be all from the same supplier. (Only 4 left to do)

Reply to
William W. Plummer