Best paint stripper?

What's the best paint stripper for a few decades' worth of paint on a steel door?
The top layer or two peel off the underlying layer in sheets once I get a finger nail under them, but Bix Original Stripper doesn't seem to be doing a lot (and it seems to me that it smells different from the identically labeled stuff I've used before). I also tried some orange-colored citrus-based stuff that was on clearance, but it doesn't do a whole lot of good either.
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

methylene chloride is the old fashioned tried and true paint stripper. I have used it many times and it will remove the toughtest paint. It is wicked dangerous stuff, though and has to be treated with the greatest respect. Ventilation, long sleeves, rubber gloves, safety googgles are all musts. but if you want to get the job done this stuff will do it and it is cheaper than the newer stuff. check this link for more info:
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/423.html
Lawrence wrote:

Stripeeze (same chemical) used to be my favorite, but haven't seen it for a while. Might be spelled Strypeeze. Eats up rubber gloves pretty quick. I started using plastic sandwich bags to grip steel wool when scrubbing down the paint/stripper goop. Stings like the devil when it gets on skin, but never seemed to do any damage. It will probably get down to bare metal pretty quick. Work in shade, well ventillated but not breezy. Got a bit splattered in my eye once, but got it rinsed out before the pain registered :o)
Go to an automotive paint store and buy the aircraft paint stripper. We pay $25 $30 per gallon. We use it to strip paint from vintage travel trailers which may have up to 10 coats of paint on them. It is not miracle stuff but it is the best we have used.
www.vintagetrailersforsale.com
cm

cm wrote:

looked at your website. interesting. looks like what's in the yard of every 5th house around here.

I've use the stuff in a blue can at Wal-Mart but I forget the brand name. Works great on wood, I've never tried it on metal. It comes with a spray bottle attached to the gallon can. Spray it on. let sit for 10 minutes and scrape off. Only a few spots had to be touched up after.
Glad you're using stripper. No matter what, work WET with a brush or sanding. You don't want to throw paint dust into the air/house/yard when it might be lead-based.
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 17:37:20 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

The stuff that works best is the stuff that has a strong odor. It is best to take the piece to be stripped outdoors. Brush on the clear gel stuff, cover it with plastic wrap, allow it to work for an hour, and scrap it off. Wear old clothes, rubber gloves, eye protection.
On 08/19/06 12:03 pm Phisherman wrote:

I think that one of the problems that it's the outside of a door I am trying to strip. and the temperature is high (80+), so the stuff tends to evaporate before it's done the job. I should try covering it with plastic wrap.
Perce
yeah apply and cover with plastic immediately