Best mosquito killer?

Page 4 of 5

Definition of lottery: A tax on people with poor math skills.
--
It's no good unless it makes your eyes water.

"nosredna"
| Sorry if someone already mentioned this, which I read on a household | tips page last week (I haven't tried it): | "Put some water in a white dinner plate and add a couple drops of Lemon | Fresh Joy dish detergent. Set the dish on your porch, patio, or other | outdoor area. Not sure what attracts them, the lemon smell, the white | plate color, or what, but mosquitoes flock to it, and drop dead shortly | after drinking the Lemon Fresh Joy/water mixture, and usually within | about 10 feet of the plate. Check this out---it works just super! May | seem trivial, but it may help control mosquitoes around your home, | especially in the South and elsewhere where the West Nile virus is | reaching epidemic proportions in mosquitoes, birds, and humans."
At one time we had UV florescent lights installed under 8X 13 square glass baking dishes with the lights shield so that only light emitted was through the bottom of the glass. Put water and some dish soap in the glass. At night most all flying bugs were attracted to the light, land in/on the water and the lack of surface tension due to the soap let them sink and drown. After a time we dump the bugs in the garden and reload the water and soap. If you want to control flys use stale beer v water and soap.
As to flys only put some bait (beer, sugar water, etc) in an old glass/plastic bottle with a small funnel at the open end. Flys will walk down the funnel into the bottle but cannot not easily escape. when the bottle is full quickly cork it and toss it.

Around here, we catch hornets with a similar contraption made from a 2 liter soda bottle.
http://www.pestcontrolcanada.com/INSECTS/wasp_traps.htm
-- -john wide-open at throttle dot info
~~~~~~~~ The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining - JFK ~~~~~~~~
| > Okay, not exactly what I asked for, but can I make smoke with "hickory | > chunks" and such and hope that it will chase mosquitoes away>? | | Smoke would be better than nothing and that's about all that can be said on | the matter. If you're going to do smoke, why not try tiki torches with | citronella-treated oil around the perimeter? | | Personally I would suggest candles, electric fans, and plenty of | DEET-containing insect repellent.
Me I'll take mine on the SCREENED porch.

I just installed one of these, and it is entertaining.
Zap. Zzzzzzzzaaappp! Zap. Zapity-zap-zapity-zap. Zap.
However, the only bugs that I am certain it is killing is moths.
What beneficial insects do they kill (and how are they beneficial)?
Hey Fred wrote: snip>However, the only bugs that I am certain it is killing is moths.

Think pollination... and bat food. Tom Work at your leisure!
Fred Walter wrote:

"All studies of household units in domestic situations have shown that zappers kill everything but the occasional mosquito. The University of Delaware conducted the best known study where only 31 out of 13,789 insects trapped (0.22%) were mosquitoes or biting gnats.      The majority was harmless insects, or beneficial insects such as parasitic wasps that help keep other pests at bay. The authors (Timothy Frick and Douglas Tallamy) calculated that the four million bug zappers that might be bought over the last four years in the USA would destroy 71 billion nontarget insects."

I once tried using a "glue board" mouse trap. These consist of a flat surface with a glue-like substance on the surface. The rodent is supposed to step onto it and be held fast. Well, the only critter it caught was a couple of geckos, which I managed to extract with great difficulty and the loss of a tail section. I tossed the remaining traps.
> I once tried using a "glue board" mouse trap. These consist of a flat > surface with a glue-like substance on the surface. The rodent is > supposed to step onto it and be held fast. Well, the only critter it > caught was a couple of geckos, which I managed to extract with great > difficulty and the loss of a tail section. I tossed the remaining > traps.
I like them- I've experienced the bait stolen with no mouse but I put more glue on it and it caught the thing. And then I put on my best chemical warfare and dispose of the thing- my dog is really good at catching the outdoor ones, not good since he can get lepto(?) from the field mice.
I've also had good results from the humane ones.
Bill Seurer wrote:

The only one I've ever seen in operation (50 years ago) was an electrified grate placed over a box of horse manure -- readily available bait, since it was at a stable. Every 10 seconds or so a giant fly would get zapped with a pleasant flash of light and a hearty BZZZZZZT. Good enough.
--
Cheers,
Bev

Anything that flies (poor Tinkerbell!) is a risk from these things EXCEPT mosquitos, who are drawn more by carbon dioxide than light and won't be sticking their heads in the noose unless they fly into it by acciddent. It would be more frugal to unplug the zapper, wander around looking for standing water that can be providing breeding ground for the mosquitos, and eliminate it.
FW
Frank White wrote:

A tip for controlling mosquitoes for those who collect rain water for watering the garden is to add a couple of feeder goldfish to the rain barrel. These will eat the mosquito larva. They are an inexpensive solution. A couple of feeder goldfish for my rain barrel cost me 49 cents.

We use minnows. :^) My son came home with a Coke bottle full of minnows he caught in the creek (don't ask me why, I don't know why). I ended up just pouring some in the trough and some in the rain barrel. They are thriving and multiplying.
--
It's no good unless it makes your eyes water.

Reminds me of a story my father once told of their being minnows that had grown to be small fish living in the horse trough on the farm. One of the dogs took to diving into the trough and swimming with them. I think I have pictures somewhere of that dog splashing in the trough. I guess the fish not only ate the larvae but any moss or mold that attempted to grow in there.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I hope so. I'm wondering how much competition there is with the frogs.
There was a funnier aspect of the minnow story I left out...
One day (the day the minnows came home), after work, I walked over to the wife's office, got in the Jeep and waited. My son and her came out and got in. We drove the 22 miles home, uneventfully. About a mile from the house, while driving down the county road, I decided I would take a drink out of the water bottle my wife -always- had with her in the cup holder. I took the lid off and took a drink.
Something moved in my mouth, and it wasn't my tongue. I carefully spit it back in the bottle, thinking that there was a gob of gum in the bottle. I looked at my wife, she and the Boy were staring at me with wide eyes. I looked at the bottle. It was full of minnows.
He had been down to the creek and collected them, why, only a ten year old knows.
I spent the last mile home spitting.
I told them "If I end up the dysentary..."
--
It's no good unless it makes your eyes water.

Jeepers wrote:

Now this is just a tad funny! BTW, 10 year old boys collect all kinds of goodies. Just ask my dryer repairman. Then there was the time the boys caught a bunch of crayfish and put them in a red picnic cooler. Lord knows why. Where they ever ticked to discover a raccoon enjoying the free meal later that night. Now the snakes were even funnier although the poor teacher didn't seem to think so and that was the girl! The principal implied she would have to be on valium for the rest of the school year. It took him a long time to get her off the desk and I'm not sure if they ever found the snake. Another snake got our of her jar and went through the power floor vent. We were picking up pieces of dried snake for quite some time. I can only hope the grandkids are as adorable!

Payback's a bitch! Hee-hee-hee!
I must admit that the "minners" in the trough was just a happy accident. I couldn't see just pouring them on the ground.
--
Dance like it hurts.
Love like you need money.

Thata be me. ;^)
patooey! ding!
--
It's no good unless it makes your eyes water.

| wrote: | | > Just be thankful you were not riding with a good old boy that liked to | > chew... | | | Thata be me. ;^) | | patooey! ding! | | -- | It's no good unless it makes your eyes water.
And a few minners had you gaggin?