best cleaner for cruddy porcelein tub?

I have a cast iron tub in the grandmother swete of my house that I rent. The last tennent apparently did not clean it for 4 years and it has a solid over lay of brown crud on it. The tub is nearing the end of its useful service due to worn porcelein. I do not want to tear it the tile etc out yet. What is the best way/chemicals to use to clean it. Thanks Stan
On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 14:40:13 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@nospam.net" <uriah> wrote:

Comet and elbow grease.
Steve B.
<uriah> wrote in message

Fill the tub with water and some bleach. Next day, empty and scrub.

Make sure you open the window if you use bleach. Once I was almost knocked over from the fumes. A nice cleaner is KaBoom because there aren't heavy fumes.

knocked
I agree. I have just started using Kaboom and it works super!
You probably have a build up of soap scum and hard water deposits. I used a razor blade and scraped most of that off an old tub - then you can run water in it and mix in some white vinegar and let it soak. You can scrub with those foam rubber sponges with scrubbers on one side. Clorox will kill any mildew.
I've had good luck with Simple Green, and a nylon scrubbie. Less fumes than bleach. Just a cheap root beer barrel aroma.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus