Bees in the ground?

Page 1 of 4
Can anyone tell me how to safely get rid of a bees nest in the ground? So far I've taken a hose and left it going for a bit right inside the nest. That seemed to cut down on some of them. I want to make SURE they don't come back. Winter is coming up so I'm figuring that after the first frost I can maybe dig the area up and remove the nest or something? Can anyone suggest anything to kill them or make sure they don't return without dumping chemicals into the ground? It's right in the garden that we're hoping to bring back to life. (Previous owners let it go without tending for 5 years and likely never noticed the bees.)
HomeDecoy wrote:

Water? Even water is a chemical, technically. What aspect of "chemicals" don't you want? Use Sevin dust. It breaks down nicely after a little while.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Haha true. I guess I'm looking for something that can go in the ground but not cause long-term damage to the soil so that we can grow things there again.

Just roto-till it, and plant beans. They won't come back to that spot again.
HomeDecoy wrote:

Ok, then Sevin Dust is indeed what you want. It is regularly used in agriculture.

If you're planning on growing edibles in that area, then you do NOT want to use ANY so-called "safe" or "relatively safe" pesticide. None of them ever has been or ever will be shown to be safe. It is not possible.

Horse-puckey. Sevin is perfectly safe when used as directed.

--
Regards,

Horse-puckey. No substance can be considered safe in or around food unless it is tested on humans. You may find one or two instances of that happening, but they were rare, and the practice is now illegal.

You can go on thinking that if it makes you feel better... and I'll continue to use Sevin in my vegetable garden.
--
Regards,

Go on thinking what? That these things cannot be tested properly? Is that specifically what you're referring to?

Go on thinking that Sevin isn't safe.
--
Regards,

Well it can be toxic, but I'm sure you need to chug-a-lug the whole bottle/bag for that to happen.
What is that SNL skit, "How many bowls of Cheerios does it take to equal one Colon Blow?"

I see you haven't given this any thought since a year ago, when I provided you with more than enough information to snap you out of your torpor. I don't care WHAT you believe, but don't go telling amateurs something's safe unless you have proof, which doesn't exist.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Well, the guy IS still alive...
You would have a much better chance of getting him to stop using Dihydrogen Monoxide on his plants - there is a lot more empirical evidence showing the dangers of Dihydrogen Monoxide exposure to plants & animals.
In fact, a study conducted by U.S. researchers Patrick K. McCluskey and Matthew Kulick found that nearly 90 percent of the citizens participating in their study were willing to sign a petition to support an outright ban on the use of Dihydrogen Monoxide in the United States:
http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html
Sevin, well... not so much if any empirical evidence.
Rob

People drown in dihydrogen monoxide. Very dangerous stuff.
On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 00:47:43 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,

Some more books for you to ponder at Amazon or the library, Joe:
Bailey's _Earth Report 2000_, Crichton's _State of Fear_
but if you're really into fear, try Kaplan's _The Coming Anarchy_.
-- Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. -- Charles Lindbergh
quickly quoth:

No fear involved. My comment is purely rational, at least to anyone with any science education at all. And, that doesn't mean sitting in the classes.
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 12:11:16 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,

It doesn't appear that you delved into any of the books at all. The first two try to show people that their ecological fears are unfounded, as does Stossel's.
Kaplan's is an eye-opener to what's really going on in the world from a political standpoint.
I urge you to check out each and every one.
-- Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. -- Charles Lindbergh
quickly quoth:

You seem to have missed something. Agricultural chemicals cannot be tested for safety on human beings, like medicines. And, both the manufacturers and their most vocal critics agree that you cannot extrapolate squat from animal testing.
No testing, no proof either way. Thanks for playing.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

The only pesticide I can think of that has never been shown to be harmful to humans in any concentration (less than 100%, and at that level people do die from being smothered) is DDT. You can get it if you try hard enough.