Bees in the ground?

Um, your own link recommends poisoning them with Sevin.

Reply to
yellowbirddog

Light it? You have to be kidding. Do you use this method on moles too?

Do you know where the hole goes or how big it is? What would happen if your hole was close or hooked up to a foundation? BOOM, instant headache.

Reply to
tnom

Then run for your life. There's nothing more dangerous than a flaming bee.

Reply to
Neill Massello

Go on thinking that Sevin isn't safe.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Well it can be toxic, but I'm sure you need to chug-a-lug the whole bottle/bag for that to happen.

What is that SNL skit, "How many bowls of Cheerios does it take to equal one Colon Blow?"

Reply to
Eigenvector

Gardens need bees.

Reply to
RayV

I see you haven't given this any thought since a year ago, when I provided you with more than enough information to snap you out of your torpor. I don't care WHAT you believe, but don't go telling amateurs something's safe unless you have proof, which doesn't exist.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

will this work for rodents or just insects?

Reply to
RayV

ground?

Ground nesting wasps are a big deal in Hawaii. We can actually call our State Department of Heath, Vector Control, and those people will come over and destroy that nest. I'd suggest you be sure about the nest because wasps can sting multiple times. Bees are one time and then they die but wasps keep their stingers. Anaphylactic shock etc. comes to mind. Of course I hope I am wrong about your nest.

aloha, beans --smithfarms.com farmers of pure kona roast beans to kona to email

Reply to
beans

Just build a nice hot fire on top of the nest. Get some paper and wood and let her burn. Ashes will add useful nutrients to your soil, and no chemicals will be used. If you live in the city where fires are not allowed, build a nice hot fire in your charcoal grill and dump the hot coals in garden.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

It works on yellow jackets. I think rodents have a few more brain cells

Reply to
RBM

Sevin dust is both the safest and also particularly toxic to bees. It breaks down fairly quickly, especially if it rains, so you have to reapply every several months.

Ignore the idiots who say it isn't safe. It is. Every farmer uses Sevin and it is used on just about every crop. Very extensively studied and shown to be 100% harmless to humans and other mammals. In fact, it's also recommended for outdoor animals to control fleas and ticks, by rubbing it into their coat. Google for "Sevin safety" or something like that and you'll see all the research.

However, are you sure you can't just leave them alone? Are they really harming anything? Depending on what you actually have, they may be harmless if they are not aggressive. Bees are very beneficial to the environment and should be left alone if they aren't causing a problem.

Reply to
Unrevealed Source

If your critters are yellow jackets, they can be very dangerous. Only stinging insects that pursue victim. In Florida, they tend to have larger colonies and can swarm in reaction to just the vibration of someone walking nearby or operating mower. Victims can get massive numbers of stings.

Malathion is one chemical used on them. Haven't read the data recently, so don't recall the toxicity stuff but they sprayed it from airplanes over populated areas of Florida when citrus pests were a threat. That implies it is relatively safe :o)

Whatever you do, if applying dust to the nest after dark, be careful not to disturb them. No light, or flashligh with red lens. If I was going to dig them up, it would not be after the first frost. Water with detergent is good for drowning all sorts of bugs, but I haven't taken on any yellow-jacket colonies. Their nest construction is pretty cool .. engineered to make it tough to get them, so dust that they contact and carry down to nestmates works best.

Reply to
Norminn

Not so.

Google for "Sevin MSDS".

Reply to
Norminn

Manifestly not true. For example, Africanized bees will pursue up to 300 yards.

Reply to
HeyBub

It's less dangerous than paint. I read once where someone painted an elephant (!). It died. If you drink paint, you will suffer. In laboratory experiments, rats who were force-fed five gallons of Martha Stewart Latex developed distended stomachs and became lethargic.

Use according to directions and you'll be golden. (or you could accomplish the same thing by painting yourself orange).

Reply to
HeyBub

Oops! Forgot about those, and we have them in Florida now. Any others?

Reply to
Norminn

Sevin, for one thing, is terratogenic. May be less toxic than some stuff, but genes count :o)

Reply to
Norminn

If you think a hornet won't pursue you, just go slap a nest and run like hell. They will correct your misperception.

Reply to
Mr.E

In article , snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net says... :) Oops! Forgot about those, and we have them in Florida now. Any others? :) :) A disturbed bumble bee nest will give a good chase.

Reply to