Bees in cinder block wall

Page 1 of 2
I have this block wall along my back yard.
it has about 3 egg size holes in it, with bee going in and out of those holes.
I have gone out there at nite and sprayed the normal 10ft bee spray but .. its not doing the trick
the spray works great with a normal hive ..but .. the little bastards can really hide in that wall ..
anybody got any experience with this ??
thanks mike
Mike_in_SD wrote:

If it's all block and just a retaining wall as I surmise, just mix up some mortar and patch up the holes.

lol .. although they are very inactive at nite .. they are not dead .. there is still 2 or 3 "security guards" buzzin about.
my wife is real happy though .. because .. that was her suggestion
and dont get me wrong .. I will probably try that .. running up there and splatting some mud on it.
wait . . . how about that spray insulation stuff that expands .. do ya think that would work ?
mike
probably wasps , they eat bugs so why kill them, the only time they bother you is for your food. If you still want them dead get Ortho Seven a powder, tape a cup on a pole and pour powder in their holes
Mike_in_SD wrote:

Depends on what type of bee it is...some would probably be able to work through it altho not likely a honeybee could. I doubt it would last long, but then again, after a few months you could knock it out and do a real patch job.
But, I'd just spray the holes first, have the mortar ready and be in long sleeves, etc., and go to it. A few buzzing around aren't likely to be a major hassle unless they're Africanized or a hornet or similar.
Get a can of the expanding foam. Go out at night and fill the holes up quick!

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 01:56:29 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Mike_in_SD) wrote:

Oh, good, then let her do it. A good commander only sends her troops to do jobs that she would be ready to do herself.
But really, if there are security guards, what you need to do is recruit some really good looking bees to work for your side and distract the guards. Call Kelly Bees, and tell them what you need.

snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com (mm) wrote in <9ajsb29b1n936pnusv6m2qkd0gvsrve9im@ 4ax.com>:

ahhh .. please .. dont encourage her .. grin ..
I went out last nite to spray .. and nearly had a heart attack .. I saw a snake on the wall .. looking at the "problem" .. but .. as I looked a little harder .. the snake had legs !!!!!!!!! .. and turned out to be a long lizzard !!!!! ... then I noticed another one above the hole .. they were moving realllll slow .. but .. the moment I shot that spray .. they just went poooofff .. and dissapeared ..
still waiting to get to HD to get the foam
mike
On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 17:01:13 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Mike_in_SD) wrote:

Don't the lizards eat the bees? At the very least they eat other pests. I think you are too eager to kill things.

lol .. Yes .. the lizards do eat the bees .. but . they dont eat fast enough .. and chill .. im NOT going to kill the lizards
trust me, If you had a bunch of bees in your yard, keeping you from walking around your yard, you would kill them tooo.
maybe you should come and pet them and ask them to leave .. grin
On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 19:56:26 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Mike_in_SD) wrote:

I thought you sprayed poison at them.

@bigfoot.com says... :) >fast enough .. and chill .. im NOT going to kill the lizards :) :) I thought you sprayed poison at them. :) :) his spray didn't kill the bees so it is supposed to kill a higher life form that feeds on un-effected bees?
--
Lar

I usually never bother the bees. Leave them alone and they never screw with me. I've banged nails, painted, whatever around them with no issues.
But when they are in a high traffic area someone is bound to give them the wrong idea and get nailed. Then it's juice 'em time.
Now I must confess. I did go out of my way to have some fun once. A similar thing with an opening and they were inside. The hole was maybe 2" square. Lit a whole pack of firecrackers, tossed it in and slammed a premade duct tape cover over it. Ran like hell. Me and a bud were LOFAO. Went back and looked. Some sloooowly came...errr...staggered out. Senses were not up to par. They were actually stepping out of the hole and falling off to the ground. Now we were LOFAO in tears.
So being in the 4th of July timeframe here, maybe you can snag a couple of cherry bombs. Please fill us in. Videos clips would be nice.
Passionate Al...

So said I of the yellowjacket nest under my front door concrete landing. That is until I received a notice from the mailman, no deliveries if I don't get rid of 'em. The nest was in a place no mechanical device nor chemical warfare could reach.

My solution was to whack them with a cheap badminton racquet. Best fun I ever had. They were easy to hit midflight. They were cut so cleanly and completely they never had a chance to send out any warning signals. None tried to defend the nest or to attack me. No noxious chemicals. Dead YJs fed the ants. Half an hour of swatting was enough to clear YJs for the day. The only development I noticed was on the third day the yellowjackets seem to be somewhat smarter and did fancy midflight maneuvers to avoid the racquet. Didn't save them. By the fourth day there weren't enough around to swat. I think the nest died of starvation. The other observtion was that no YJs ever went anywhere near the landing again. This "smell of death" may be inherent in an abandoned nest. Pderhaps someone can test this theory by putting an abandoned nest next to a live one.

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 01:09:18 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Mike_in_SD) wrote:

Not with the idea I just came up with, but you can try it. Expanding foam. A couple squirts will lock in the current bees, and prevent future bees making a home in it.
Just shooting from the hip, so think about it. :p
later,
tom @ www.NoCostAds.com
if you have access to the hole gasoline kills them instantly. mark ho;le in daylight do job at niite with no lites, they will attack lites....
with a hole in the ground type a bucket of gasoline is instant death, no need to lite the hydrocarbons kill them

I had a similar problem with an old, light fixture hole that was covered up with a shutter. Yellow jackets (or variant) had made a nice home in there. I used the expanding foam and it worked like a charm!
Caution: Use rubber gloves (kitchen type) when using this stuff..I managed to get some on my hands the first time I used it and nothing would get it off. I tried everything from alcohol to gasoline! -Orv
Orv wrote:

Acetone or nail polish remover will take off the foam, it will even get it out of your hair. Also cleans up Liquid Nails.
For the bugs I usually use Brake Kleen (shoots as far as wasp spray) or carb cleaner (drops them from the sky). Brake Kleen works best for me, any auto store or K/Wal mart will have it. Always have a can in my pouch when on the ladder.
The foam will probably work but will look like crap when you are done. Spray something in the hole to kill or stun them, stuff in some newspaper, mortar over paper.
On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 00:53:49 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,

And taint the groundwater? NOT a good idea AT ALL!

Mineral spirits, acetone, and lacquer thinner have all worked for me to remove canned foam. I usually buy the medium expansion stuff. The fast expanding style can explode boxes if you're not careful. <g>
For bees, I hope everyone calls a beekeeper to remove them and keep them alive. They'll usually do it for free. There is a real problem with our honeybees dying out so keeping as many bees alive as possible is a Good Thing(c). Bees are good guys. They keep our foods growing through pollination!
On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 05:53:44 -0700, Larry Jaques

I like bees too. But it is wrong to suggest that a beekeeper will do it for free. Maybe if you could turn back the clock about a hundred years, but not today.