Electrical question about splicing into one hot wire for a light from a set of hots for 220 circuit

My Wife's mother wants a install an outdoor lighting fixture on the

> side of the house where there is no convenient power access. > Instead of having to run a new 110v circuit 150ft, we were wondering > about a nearby 220v circuit that feeds 1 evap cooler. > Can we branch off from one of the hot 110 v lines to power an outdoor > light using 2 90watt bulbs? will this lower the voltage of the > tapped > into hot line and cause a fault or power issue for the evap cooler? > would tapping into each hot lines with only 1 90 watt bulb. be more > viable solution. Or should we immediately stop thinking of such > ridiculous things and smack ourselves for even thinking of such > possibilities? hehe It just seems awefully expensive to accomodate > this lighting desire. Can we extend off of a 110v receptacle circuit > provided the wiring is suitable?

Yes it can be done, BUT. You need to make sure that that 240V circuit has a neutral as well as a ground included (at least four wires) As the others have suggested, I will also. There are a few possible glitches that may come up and you may will miss one and end up with a dangerous situation if you want to do this yourself. I suggest hiring a professional. Also make sure you get a permit, it would not be good to find out that your home fire insurance will not pay off because of un-authorized wiring.

Reply to
<cmply