Bedroom in apartment: Need ideas to buffer sounds from ceiling/neighbors

Page 2 of 2
Tony wrote:

It's a big house with apartment units, so I suppose it wasn't originally built for that purpose.
The recording is crude - it's mono and the sounds have a lot more impact in reality. I just wanted to show the characteristics of the sounds.
Regarding what you said about the lightweight floor - you can hear in the second one, as the person stomps, the floor buckles...

money and effort by sticking things to the ceiling. There are no magic materials that provide a certain amount of noise reduction, regardless of what ignorant manufacturers may write. Noise reduction depends totally on the conditions of use, and in your case there is nothing that you can stick on the ceiling that will have a worthwhile effect. Get used to the noise or move.
--
Tony W
My e-mail address has no hyphen
Tony wrote:

There nust be something that would deaden sound...I understand, Tony, that you don't believe so. "Move out" or "get used to the noise" is all or nothing.
If someone else has actually tried something or heard of someone else trying something successfully - let me know.
I am just looking for some reduction in the impact of the noise, not complete silence.

Honestly there is very little you can do to stop the noise.
The best you could do is hang very heavy "blankets" down each wall, and one across the ceiling... You're talking several thousand dollars.
If you are going to spend any money on this, it would be 100 times better if a "spongy" subfloor could be installed upstairs.
888eight888 wrote:

You are missing the point. Once the sound has entered the room space ANYWHERE, it will be heard everywhere.
Imagine the smell of a skunk! No matter how much you mop up, you WILL smell the skunk.
A barrier to his fumes is the only hope.

We do this all the time.
It is a closed barrier to the space above he ceiling. In addition to being closed, it must have mass; one or two layers of drywall.
It MUST also have an independeent cavity behind it; hence either a new ceiling surface several inches below that existing, or the old inferior ceiling surface must be removed and the new ceiling on a separate support structure is to be constru cted below the old ceiling, the new dryewall back surface being exposed to the overall cavity.
All joints and corneredges must be taped closed.

Anytthing other than this treatment (or incapacitation of the residents above) will fail.
Angelo Campanella

I vote for incapacitation of the residents above. With a last name such as yours, I would think that you might be in a position to refer the OP to people who are in that line of work. :-)

See if your landlord will let you move to another apartment. The noise may be grounds for breaking your lease.

Being as he's talking about footfalls mostly, I don't think so. The landlord also has an obligation to allow his tenants the normal use of their apartments. And that includes walking around in them.
Banty

maybe buy the upstairs neighbors [a thick white carpet and] foot slippers for everyone. maybe trade in the super ball for a nerf ball. i had a tenant many years ago in a lower who complained about having her peace disturbed by the late night arrival of an inconsiderate upper tenant who wore "clogs" around the house was the complaint. we followed it up and got no cooperation about asking her to slip off her noisy wooden sandals at the entry. after a few subsequent inconsiderate actions like setting off the smoke alarm on several late nights after passing out from drinking after putting food in the gas oven and burning it, we asked the upper tenant to move. as a tenant, your think outside the box solution might be to find the noisy folks a nicer or bigger apartment or home with yard to rent. have a look and see if your area is listed at: www.craigslist.org don't be surprised if you find a nice place for yourself there also. you might even look for those who need an apartment like the one upstairs in the wanted list.