Battery Drain Mystery

Page 4 of 4

On Thu, 06 May 2010 12:49:37 -0500, AZ Nomad

Not necessarily a brand related issue, regardless what the microsoft haters say - and the problem is not NECESSARILY the keyboard. It could be the interface constantly sending a signal to the keyboard keeping it turned on. Did you try using the interface from the older keyboard??
As for why use a wireless keyboard? It keeps the desk area uncluttered and generally is just a lot neater.
Ron P wrote:

Any good reason to use a wireless keyboard? They seem pretty pointless to me for most desktop usage.

I use logitec's bluetooth wireless keyboard and it has an on/off switch. You can turn it off when it is not being used. It has a mouse pad on it as well. Great for use in an easy chair or couch. Works with my ps3 as well.
On Thu, 6 May 2010 10:50:02 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc

Keyboard with a switch IS a better way to go - and the bluetooth stuff IS coming down in price to the point it is a viable option.

I like mine and I'd never go back to a cord. Easily moved out of the way when I need more open space. YMMV

I'd replace the batteries. Test the battery theory by just sticking in alkalines and seeing how they last. Just don't try recharging them. Most rechargeable batteries have a lower output voltage than alkaline batteries and as they age, it gets even lower. My guess is that the rechargeables in your keyboard are getting tired.
--
Nonny
On most days,

Thanks, but I've always used new alkalines, not rechargeables.
Ron P wrote:

Rig a milliamp meter between the battery and the keyboard. See what's going on.
Ron P wrote:

Could the batteries be from a batch that was at some point stored in a hot environment?
Ron P wrote:

You tried another keyboard and the same thing happens? This is really odd unless it is a common problem for that model keyboard. Do the batteries go into the keyboard itself or another device?