Battery-backup emergency lighting

Page 3 of 3

Go to this slink and look at very bottom of page where it says "power failure system"
http://www.streamlight.com/litebox_specifications.htm

Thanks for the information. However, that looks like a light that would give light for a substantial period of time but not something that would come on automatically if power is lost -- more like a very heavyduty flashlight. My interest in for something that would only require lighting for a short time (to handle an emergency) but should operate automatically and would provide more light output than the little LED lights because smoke can create a very difficult atmosphere for vision.
MaryL
MaryL wrote:

This provides substantial amount of light, operates automatically in a power failure, will work for up to 90 minutes (more than enough time to get out), and is reasonably priced at $17.50 (Battery is included). Call it roughly $25.00 including shipping and handling.

Excellent! Thank you very much. You and several others have given some simple and inexpensive ideas, and this is just the type of device I wanted.
MaryL
MaryL wrote:

Mary The one he's talking about comes on automatically when the power to it's charging rack fails. When you remove it from it's charging rack it will function as a very long lasting flashlight. In my opinion the model you want is the eight watt, flood light bulb, power failure version. It is the third item down that page.
--
Tom Horne

"Member, Takoma Park Volunteer Fire Department"

Thanks. I did not pick up on that when I first looked at the page. (Also, thanks for your informative reply to one of Pete C's messages. He seems to think I am stupid for wanting more protection, while I think we should consider panic and the limited time available in the event of a fire -- and take extra precautions for that possibility.)
MaryL
MaryL wrote:

Mary I salute you for taking the time to think about taking care of your own safety instead of sitting back and assuming someone else will magically bale you out when things go wrong.
A major portion of a Firefighters job is to encourage people to think about such issues in advance. I give you major points for having taken some preparatory steps and reevaluating how they work out when appropriate. Many of the deaths that occur during emergencies and disasters can be attributed to lack of preparedness on the part of individual citizens who then want heads to roll because a federal Urban Search and Rescue Team (USART) did not arrive during the event to hold them by the hand and spoon feed them. If more people were taking responsibility for there own safety like you the fire and rescue service would be a lot less busy then it now is and the US would not have the worst rate of civilian fire casualties of all developed nations.
--
Master Firefighter / Rescuer Thomas D. Horne, speaking for himself and
not the Takoma Park Volunteer Fire Department, a cooperating agency of