Bathtub Replacement or Refinishing? Acrylic?

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

There are lots of non-abrasive cleaning products that work well and really supercede old school abrasive cleaners such as "comet". You can ruin porcelain enamel with comet too.
My bathroom is 5x7. The tub is at one end with a wall on three sides. The commode is a few inches away and the vanity a few inches on the other side of the commode. I had thought there would not be enough room to take the tub out without moving the commode at least.
I've been using spray on Comet for cleaning since replacing both shower doors....one set of doors came with the recommendation to use it and it has worked well.
I can tell you all about it. I bought my house 2 years ago with a bathtub insert and surround. Looked good, but in reality not very good. I would estimate the insert and surround to be at least 5 years old. Not sure which company installed it, probably not Bathtub Fitters, as they keep a database of past customers and I called them first when the problem arouse.
Typically refits are 3 to 4 pieces, I have found from my research. Bathtub insert, surround and ceiling. The problem is keeping the the insert and surrond where they meet sealed from leaks. A molding type of stripe was used in my bathroom. But in various places this pulled away, the strip had lost its stickiness. I used silicone where the stripe had pulled away from the wall. However one too many hot showers in one morning caused the stripe to again pull away and water got between the insert and the bathtub.
As I could not find away to remove the water, after talking to various people, I decided the best thing to do was to have it all pulled out. The surrond was replaced with nice tile. And the bathtub refinished (usually about $250). Its been 3 weeks since the remodel and I LOVE it. Everything works the way its supposed to and looks great!
I would not recommend bathtub inserts/surronds to anyone unless it is a short term fix. My bathroom redo was $2400 (MD prices) and included replacing the plaster wall with cement board. I have to wonder can a bath refitter do it for so much less?
If I had the money I would have replaced the bathtub too, but decided to try the refinish on the old tub, even with the mixed longevity on these finishes I have heard reported.
G'hillside
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Studies have shown that homes where the bath tub that is not filled with water, stay ring free. Apparently they still used the bath, but only for taking showers. As far as the plastics go, it only takes one helping hand to come along once and clean the tub with the wrong cleaner to ruin it. Someone who is visiting and feels that they should help out, so they clean the tub for you. Other things like dropping finger nail polish remover will put a big blemish in it. But maybe the chances of that happening over a 5 years period are zero. The good thing about plastic tubs are that the hot water will stay hot longer in it. I personally can,t soak myself in a tub that is not all shined up. I feel that germs cannot live in shiny objects. I have never seen any home paint be as good as the factory baked on stuff. In fact, I have never seen a do it yourself kit for any project to be as good as what they did at the factory. My ideal bathroom would be seamless, no corners, nothing dark or dark shadows, all surfaces glossy, and cool white, and no busy designs like marble or such, a slopping floor with a drain. If you can bring in a fire hose for a good rinse, if it looks clean and dry when done, perfect.
On 6 Sep 2006 08:50:55 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I put in an Americast tub about 15 years ago. I guess it is acrylic. Can't use standard cleansers. Products like Scrubbing Bubbles work very well and don't damage the surface. The tub still look almost new. FWIW YMMV
All I have to say is don't get it refinished. We had it done about 2 years ago and had them come back twice to fix cracks in the paint, and the third time it happened we gave up and threw a bath mat on it. Then of course we couldn't pull it up for cleaning without it pulling up the rest of the paint so we had a mildew problem. Now I cant give my 2 and 4 year olds baths-- they have to take showers every night! So, I am in the same boat as you, trying to decide on what to do with the bathtub. I can say that I feel sick after hearing the renovation prices people have talked about on this thread! snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

amy wrote:

I too have decided against refinishing it. I'm going to save up and do it right!
Also, in my bathroom, the window is right there above the tub. Can I find tubs that allow for this or will I need to actually hire someone to deal with this? I've never seen tubs with the full surround have an option for a window.