Bathtub Replacement or Refinishing? Acrylic?

Page 1 of 2
Our bathroom is due for a remodeling. The tub is the major item that has caused disagreement between me and my wife. It is a 20 something American Standard enamel model. My wife wants it replaced with the same type of tub. To avoid the mess I suggested putting in a "Bath Fitter" acrylic, fit over the old tub alternative that I learned about on the web. Wife says that since you cannot use powder cleansers (like Comet) to clean "rings around tub" and there are no 5 or 10 year installations that we can look at, she is very opposed. Would greatly appreciate information and opinions about this issue; especially as to any known problems or possitive information about acrylic bathtubs--new or fitted over types. Thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Your wife, just like everyone else's is right.
RayV wrote:

Stubby wrote:

That's one way. Another way is to not use (real) soap.
Yet another way is to use a lime soap dispersant when (real) soap is used, either mixed with the soap or added separately to the water (as bath foam, for instance).
Yet another way is to use the shower only, and not let the water back up. You may still get a layer of scum, just not as prominent as a ring.
Robert
RayV wrote:

Wow, you mean my husband has a wife that's always right? I should meet her sometime. ;)
HomeDecoy wrote:

Stubby wrote:

That's a lot of pressure. I'm glad I'm not that wife.
Funny enough, we too need a replacement tub and have been considering those type you simply put on overtop of what's there. So far it seems that ripping it all out and putting in brand new will work best long-term but I"m interested in seeing what others suggest to the OP here.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Home Depot, probably others, sell an epoxy based paint kit for tubs. It is time consuming because you need to 'wash' the tub with an acid, rinse thoroughly, let dry overnight, paint the tub, let dry for at least two days. Everything needed is included in the kit for about $40 (acid, paint, roller, etc). Just use gloves and goggles and be prepared for an awful smell for about a week from the paint.
Results are ok but probably just as good as a plastic insert would be. It's only $40, give it a try.
There are people who do tub refinishing for reasonable prices. I would try one of them before ruining a tub with an epoxy kit.

I've read that the new urethane finishes are the best;they don't yellow and stay glossy;you clean them with 409 or Fantastic.
I haven't seen any DIY kits yet,though.
I was looking around on Google,and a company offers a 2 part urethane paint for $90,for BT refinishing. Kromakote 8901-8;3 qts.(2 resin,1 hardener) I have not tried this product.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

bathfitters originally developed for hotels to get more life from existing tubs. hotels plan on bathfitters then 5 years later gut bath and start over.
its a good temporary fix, long tewrm a new tub is better
My neighbor had hers done ... there is one piece for the shower and one piece for the tub. She says it sure is easier to keep clean as far as mold and mildew goes. We are in FL. where that is a big problem. Anyway, my tub was acrylic (house built in '83) and I had it refinished two years ago. It didn't hold up too well. Now I need to decide whether to get a new tub or have the "re-bath" people come out. I would like to know if it is possible to take out the old tub and replace it without taking out the lavatory and commode ... the room measures 5x7 and the tub is on the far wall with a window over it. If I have to take out the other stuff, I believe the costs for labor would be so high that it would not be practical to buy new tub. Does anyone know? The re-bath price is quite high...according to neighbor.

Is your bathroom like the bathroom in an airplane, where everything is one piece? If not, why would you have to take out the sink and commode?
To give them space to work, I don't think so. Why else?
The bath fitter type price is high, but isn't it still a lot lower than a new tub? That is, if you have a built in tub with the ends covered by the walls. If one end and one side is not against a wall, you can just pull out the tub and put in the new one, I assume. If you have a tub on legs, it's even easier.
On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 19:21:18 GMT, "Art"

I agree with that. I wouldn't use any powder cleanser on a tub, unless it was ruined already. They feel better and look better when they are smooth, and I don't think any finish stays smooth with powder cleansers (except maybe the one with the little chicken on the can and the motto "It hasn't scratched yet", but I don't even use that. I know her mother used Comet, so did my mother (although I don't know why. She was at least 40 years old before it came out. I was 5 or 10), but they have invented other things now. I use scrubbing bubbles (DOW?) and although for a few months, the name annoyed me, and the fact that I could rub all the dirt off in certain places (while I was in the tub, which of course makes the water dirtier, and there were places where it didn't work) made me feel I was wasting my money. But I'm back to being happy with it, as I have been 90% of the time. (If you let it sit for too long after spraying, it dries out, and when you wet it again, it's not as easy to remove the dirt as when it only sat for a couple minutes)
As to Bath Fitter, they are beautiful tubs. They come in several colors and even swirls. The house across the street just got a white one put in. There are similar products sold probably at both Lowes and HD. For sure I saw one in the exit room at Lowes a week ago.
There are two reasons I don't get it. A)It would take a quarter to a half inch off the length of my tub, I think, (is that true?) and the tub is already too short.
B) I have an epoxee paint that I want to try first. Because my tub was so uncomfortable, I made a foam rubber cushion, 4 inches thick, the width of the tub, and from 6 inches above to the top to 6 inches below. That was very comfortable!! But the bottom never dried and it ruined a strip of finish about an inch high most of the way across the end of the tub.
Now I make a cushion that is half as tall, just goes above the tub, doesn't get wet, and it's just as comfortable. I wish I had known that befofre. Neither cushion has a cover, because I coudln't think of how to make one, and I have to replace the thing every 5 or 6 years when it gets too dirty, or sags in the middle.
I expect if you treat these things right, they'll look as good after 10 years as they do new. If not, then you can get a whole new tub, and that tub will be ten years newer than it otherwise would be. Arem t bath fitters a lot cheaper than the standard replacement, with plastering and everything? I can think you can dicker about price with bath fitter. More like a car than a Double Whopper.

As she should be. Get a real tub, get a quality tub. Do the job right.

wrote in message

He asked for an opinion. I gave one. I'd spend my money the same way. Doing a half assed re-model does not make sense. It is much more costly a year or two from now if they made the wrong decision with the acrylic and want to replace the entire tub.

You're right. Sorry.

I didn't doubt that.

On 6 Sep 2006 08:50:55 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Abrasive cleaners should never be used to clean a fiberglass nor porcelain tub. Show the manufacturer's recommendations on how to clean to the wife.