Bathroom sinks slow draining

Hi,

Both our bathoorm sinks are draining really slowly.

I read some old posts and it seems that the first step is to remove the stopper. Mine don't seem to just lift out so I guess I have to take some screws out behind the sink to get the stopper out?

Then once the stopper is out can I snake the drain? Some of the posts suggested using a coat hanger to get the hair out.

I tried boiling water but that didn't seem to help much. I'm hesitant to use draino.

Would appreciate some tips on how to handle this job.

Thanks in advance, Steve

Reply to
szeik

" snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@r34g2000hsd.googlegroups.com:

Take off the retaining nut in left diagram. Stopper will drop down. Lift out with an edge of some type.

Fish out all the hair and crap. Pivot rod must go through stopper opening when reassembled. See red line in diagram. Do not overtighten the retaining nut when reassembling. Tighten just until lift rod holds it's place without dropping down. Maybe a tad more. Fill sink with water. Let it all drain while checking for leak near retaining nut. If leaks, tighten just a LITTLE more and retry.

Reply to
Al Bundy

" snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@r34g2000hsd.googlegroups.com:

Go to a hardware store....a real store, not Home Depot. Ask for the air pressure stuff in a can. I use it all the time. I have strong pipes, so I can use it.

Reply to
TaskProperties

Hi, Once stopper is out and P trap plug is unscrewed next is obvious. Grease build up or hear ball clogging the water passage.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I heard that wire coat hangers aren't going to be made anymore, soon. What will we all do?

Do I have to stock up on them too?

Reply to
mm

mm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

eBay will be your friend :-)

Reply to
Al Bundy

They will be available from your local drug dealer, along with little red Sudafeds, and freon. Yo, man! Can I cop some coat hangers? 'Sup, dude? Slip me some wire hanger.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Use the compressed air can if you have good plumbing in your house Don,t use hangers as they could punch thru old galv pipes. Have you tried a plunger used right can clean most drains. Another trick buy powdered lye and put tablespoon in drain add enough water to get it in pipe, Leave for 5to 10 then rinse completley with only cold water never look in the pipe when the lye is working. Suggest you get plumber if doesn't work

Reply to
jim

I'm not into Sudafed. I want real fed.

I feel better now. I use wire hangers for lots of things.

Reply to
mm

Real Fed: Just mash up some of them little red pills, and add ammonia. You'll get real fed.

Drain: Try crystal Drano.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon