Sinks

I need a smaller kitchen sink.

I have two options: Just a sink, or a sink and draining by the side.

Sink

& drainer
tend to prefere just the sink, the idea would be to put some drainer thingy to the side of the sink and remove it when not using it, thus not cluttering up the limted space for preparing food that is besides the sink.

Is that doable, I mean, is having a removable some drainer thingy besides the sink a sort of reasonable idea?

Reply to
Richard

Richard gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Yes. But don't forget the whole point of "draining" - to get water off plates/pans etc. Where's that water going to?

Reply to
Adrian

Yes. And the modern predilection with having inset sinks is a pain in the dong. We're about to redo our utility room and will be replacing the inset one with a sit-on sink. Yes, very 50's I know but f*ck that, it just works better. No ledges for grot to collect in, no water on the counter top adjacent to the sink that I can't f***ing well get *into* the sink.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Couldn't agree more. Been fitting my new sit-on sink this very day to replace the 25 year old MFI. The disadvantage, and it's about the only one IMO, is where you have a worktop next to it, and you either end up with slightly grubby silicone seal, or you make it removable and give the edge a wipe now and then.

Reply to
stuart noble

In message , Richard writes

Yes, I lived with a kitchen without draining board for several years, but was never entirely happy with it. The problem was that, however careful we were, water sat on the worktop beside the sink, because there was not any way or where for it to drain. Not a major disaster, more an inconvenience, but it is not something I would repeat, if it could be avoided.

Reply to
Graeme

Er, isn't that one of the uses of the dish cloth? To wipe the spills on the surfaces down after doing the washing up.

I guess the hyper clean, disinfect everything in sight, lot will winge about the dish cloth being the bringer of death from heaven knows what bacteria but I'm not dead yet or had any illness that could be attributed to the dishcloth of even kitchen hygiene. At least not any kitchen that has been the families or mine, commercial ones is another matter...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

> Sink & drainer

> I tend to prefere just the sink, the idea would be to put some drainer

You can get plate rack type drainers that stand in their own drip tray that you then tip out... but that takes up as much space as the drainer would have done. Once you start using a kitchen in earnest you will want a built in drainer. If you eat out most of the time and just want 'designer' rather than practical on the other hand...

spamlet

Absolutely, but easier if it just drains into the sink. Means you can finish the washing up, and leave it to drain.

I too am a great fan of the dish cloth and tea towel, even though they seem to be frowned upon today. I seem to have survived the first 57 years OK, and am now aiming at the next 57 ...

Reply to
Graeme

Fortunately this sink will completely cover the unit it sits on, so no adjacent worktop, but I take the point tho and we'll have to think about that if we ever redo the kitchen.

(which will involve ditching this black faux marble top we inherited where you can't tell if there's water or oil or other grot on it, and I already chipped a plate on the frigging stuff).

Reply to
Tim Streater

Why not just use a dish brush, much easier to get stuff off dirty plates with and much easier to clean afterwards. Even when "clean" such a cloth will be a bugs paradise. You may not appear to have got ill from dishcloths but in my case I'm not so sure.

SWMBO swears by cloths but even so is boiling it in bleach every so often.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I use one chopping board for everything (not at the same time obviously).

And it's *wooden*.

I should be dead by now...

Reminds me - must buy a new wiping spnge - this one is almost walking by itself...

Reply to
Tim Watts

survived the

Similar vintage. We have immune systems trained from eating worms as toddlers, playing in the mud and generally getting into all manner of bumps and scrapes as kids. B-) Unlike todays kids that seem glued to the sofa, their mobiles and their games machines. Whilst their parents disinfect everything in sight then wonder why the kids suffer strange allergies. The immune system is bored not having anything to do so it turns on self...

Never got on with brushes. Dish cloth or non-scratch sponge scouring pad for me.

Yeah, great for keeping my immune system working. B-)

The sponge scourer lasts about two weeks then it's binned. Cloths are binned rather than washed/bleached. They are also hung up to dry rather than kept in a ball in a dish by the sink, bugs don't like dry.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'd hate that! I've a double drainer and it's very useful. It is carefully looked after, as it'd be expensive to get a good replacement and then the size would be different.

Reply to
PeterC

>>> Sink& drainer

>>> I tend to prefere just the sink, the idea would be to put some drainer

Yes, I was thinking surely there must be drainers that have their own drip tray. Never seen one, but I'll Google.

As you say, from a practical point of view, use of the kitchen could make one feel the sink has a drainer. It's this what I'm mulling over.

Reply to
Richard

Mine sits on a 1000 base unit with the washing machine next to it, so I have a 600 length of worktop above that. Has to be supported with brackets on the carcass, which isn't ideal, but on balance it's a practical arrangement. What I've discovered about s/s sinks is if you wipe them down with vinegar once a week, they stay pristine. No abrasion and no special products required

Reply to
stuart noble

The other option might be to do it the other way around and find a sink with a drainer but one which has a chopping board that fits over it. That way you et your proper draining board but can use it for chopping as well.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

have a shelf to the right of the sink. The above drainer with tray would fit on it. Width is 20.5 Cm. This, or similar, could be my answer.

Reply to
Richard

have a shelf to the right of the sink. The above drainer with tray would fit on it. Width is 20.5 Cm. This, or similar, could be my answer. I think it would take cups 'n' stuff.

Reply to
Richard

We have a chopping board that fits over the sink...

Reply to
Huge

Yes, we were given one not unlike that. In practice it would not fit under the kitchen units when it had plates on, and generally got in the way. The tray now is used for plant pots, and the rack sadly ended up in the dustbin, as I got fed up waiting for a use to be found for it.

spamlet