Green Sinks

I was looking at some kitchen sinks and noted that quite a few models had no hole, or other facility, for an overflow. These are _NOT_ the type of sinks with two bowls where there is a channel lower than the draining board to let overflow water flow into the adjoining bowl.

Is this a green issue to ensure that people don't use too much water or just another bad "fashion" design?

Reply to
alan

On Tuesday 12 November 2013 00:30 alan wrote in uk.d-i-y:

It is a fuckwitted design.

Like my old flat that had an overflow, blanked off because noone could be arsed to add the pipe to the drain.

I added one after I had an overflow and spillage.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I agree, what is the point of not having an overflow? Is a flooded kitchen preferable than a bit mor water usage. I do also have issues with some overflows which cannot get anywhere near the flow rate which can fill the sink or bath and hence are not of much use at all!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

On Tuesday 12 November 2013 08:23 Brian Gaff wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I thought of that...

I added some adjustable flow restrictors in my final connections (from BES Plumbing, they look like big ball valves that you can fit a choice of little flow cartridges in rated in X litres/min).

I then try different cartridges until:

a) The flow does not bounce back in my face;

b) The overflow can cope with both taps full on.

This is a compromise with the bath where you'd like quick fill, but ultimately I'd rather that takes longer but does not flood my bathroom!

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

You wouldn't like mine then.. even though they work well and empty the sink or bath quite quickly I can put more water in from the taps than the drains can take.

Reply to
dennis

The general rule for storage cisterns is that the overflow should be one pipe size larger than the inlet. So, following that, if your bath has 2 x 22mm feeds your overflow should be 2 x 35mm, or an equivalent or greater area (achieved by 1 x 54mm).

As an alternative, fit fail safe solenoid valves to the inlets and a water level detector for the bath.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar