Bathroom sink is clogged

I have what I think is called a Pedistal sink in my bathroom. The drain is clogged, and I think it is because one of my kids stuck something in it. Can anyone tell me how to get to the pipes so I can take the trap off and check for the items that are stuck in there?

Thanks, Frederick Do you think you are spending too much for your long distance? Stop by

and use our Free "Best Rates for Me" calculator to find the best company for you. We have all your telecommunication needs on one site.

Reply to
Frederick

Hi Frederick!

F > I have what I think is called a Pedistal sink in my bathroom. The F > drain is clogged, and I think it is because one of my kids stuck F > something in it. Can anyone tell me how to get to the pipes so I can F > take the trap off and check for the items that are stuck in there?

A pedestal sink is generally on a matching column and has the underneath exposed. A drop-in sink sits in a hole in a cabinet. With both the plumbing can either come out of the wall or up from the floor.

As far as getting to the clog, I would first remove the stopper to see if there is hair and soap residue. It will probably be wrapped around the stopper and there may also be some (lots?!) on the thing that the stopper sits on to go up and down. Dispose of hair/gunk in the waste basket, not down the drain!

If the drain is still sluggish try a plunger (block the overflow hole), then try pouring in ¬c baking soda followed by «c vinegar; cover drain until fizzing stops. Flush with 1 qt. boiling water.

If the kids stuffed a toy soldier down the drain the above may be enough to get you an acceptable drainage. You'll need to either retrieve the toy with a wire hook (this is why one never gets rid of all the wire scraps from our electrical wiring projects!) or open the trap. See that big nut(s) under there by the "U" part? Use a monkey wrench (get one with a suitable jaw opening). First put a bucket under the trap ==> there's water in there!

  • Never tell a leper: "I wish I had your eyes."
Reply to
barry martin