Bathroom Sheetrock

Page 1 of 2
Our master bathroom was recently gutted and remodeled. One of the guys that quoted said he would use a type of sheetrock that was moisture-resistant. We didn't end up going with him. The company that did the remodel used regular sheetrock in the bathroom. Is that much of an issue? Does anyone know if regular sheetrock is more common in bathrooms?
Thanks,
Cin
--
Newsguy Express Usenet Accounts: 15GB/month at only $9.95!

that
We
regular
regular
Greenboard is a lot better for bathrooms. Some places require it. But regardless, it's entirely unsuitable for mount tile; use drywall only for painted (or papered) surfaces.
wkearney99 ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) said...

Tiling can be done on any drywall, without problems. However, any tiles that are intended to be in a wet location (tub surround or shower stall) should have cement board behind them.
When we built our house, shower stall and tub surround areas had cement board and tiles were set with thinset mortar. All the drywalled sections of our bathrooms used greenboard for the lower half and regular drywall for the upper half. Tiles set on drywall (bathrooms and the backsplash in the kitchen) were set with a high quality mastic.
--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Hmmmm since our entire bath was done with regular drywall, I'm going ot be paranoid about keeping the tile on the wall above the whirpool dry. I should have said something when they were doing it :-(
Cin
--
Newsguy Express Usenet Accounts: 15GB/month at only $9.95!

Dont panic. Just seal your grout and remember its a TUB and not a shower.. Keep the water IN the tub and you'll be fine.

I don't think you should be paranoid, Cindy.
There's a lot of misinformation about what is really required in backing for tile in a bathroom. And there's quite a bit of it in this thread.
Here, Denshield sells for something like fifty bucks a sheet, greenboard is about fourteen and ordinary drywall is about ten bucks. There is no doubt that greenboard resists water better than drywall and denshield resists better than greenboard ... BUT IT IS NOT NECESSARY if the wall is properly tiled.
The only advocates for denshield are the people who sell it. Standard practice here is greenboard around the tub and as backing for a shower ... and ordinary drywall in the rest of the bath.
HTH
Ken

that may be practice, but it's pretty stupid to use greenboard in a shower
On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 10:34:33 -0700, "Charles Spitzer"

Whatever.......
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.tnx wrote:

You are totally full of shit sir. The tile installation is only as good as the subtrate's it's installed over. You're no professional and a hack at the best.

Hope that helps???
Water resistant drywall should never be used for a tile substrate in either a tub or a shower. I don't know where you're located (nor do I care) but your "Standard practice" is substandard to say the least.

be
should
I'm not really a drywall expert, but have been in lots of homes being built, and countless ones already lived in for years And have always seen "greenboard" tiled and used around tubs. (tile held on with mastic glue)
No doubt the cement board is better, but as long as the tile is grouted and caulked properly, no real amount of water ever gets near the wallboard anyway.
Even if water is getting into a wall cement board may survive, but the studs, and subfloors would rot and have to be ripped out
And I've seen finished basements that have far higher overall humidity than most bathrooms, and they use regular drywall and rarely have problems
For people who like to practice martial arts in their bathrooms though, cement board saves a lot of repairs. <g>
AMUN
Amun wrote:

Totally unacceptable you grinning idiot. No one with any experience or knowledge in tile installation recommends or defends the use of water resistant drywall in tubs or showers for tile substrates. It will fail, it's only a matter of time.
You are an ignorant fuck and it's showing again. As I pointed out in another thread, you're another know-it-all asswipe who doesn't really know what you're talking about, so STFU when it comes to this topic as well.
This is for those who want to have a clue about the subject. http://www.constructiondefects.com/cd_shower.asp

Well Henslee, if the shoe fits..Put it on
This may surprise you but you aren't the be all and end all of usenet, but a generally foul mouthed jerk-off. Who do you think pays any attention to your rabid, run off at the mouth comments... Get back on your medication
Rudy wrote:

Sa'matter asswipe, that crappy tile you job you got start fallin' apart?

Happily, it'll outlive you
Rudy wrote:

ahh you'd never tell us if it fell apart anyway. pfft...

ot
built,
and
than
Hey Dickwad.
Who the fuck cares what you think anyway ? Millions of homes have nothing but greenboard in the bathrooms and are doing quite fine thank you very much.
Pull a few of those sheets of cement board out of your ass and you might feel a bit less cranky.
Or just shut off your computer and do us all a favor. ROTFLMAO
AMUN
Amun wrote:

Your pissy keyboard flex isn't good enuff fool. Nor is your lousy advice. Blow it out your ignorant ass.
I will always be here, fuckface. Get used to it. And I'll call you on every one of your fucking ingorant posts because you're wrong.
Now go chase the little ball, bitch.

good
for
doing
Okay,... do feel better now sweetie ? Don't worry, your PMS will subside in a few months.
Just because you are a "profeshonal" drywall tile installer who can't put on grout or caulking properly and all your jobs leak water into walls.
Don't assume that the rest of us do shoddy work as well.
Since you seem to like links to reinforce facts, here you go.
http://amishrakefight.org/gfy /
AMUN
Amun THE MORONIC UNDERDEVELOPED NIT wrote:

No assumption, asswipe. You've already admitted you're a shod buster when you defended an inferior unacceptable substrate that is unnacceptable to professionals and the TCA.
Neither of which you'll ever be familiar with you goat screwing hillbilly.

That link is as old and sorry as you are...

Why am I not surprised you have been referred to that link before.
ROTFLMAO !!!!
AMUN