Bathroom Fans

Page 1 of 2
My wife and I recently bought our first house, which is, of course, a fixer-upper. One of our "immediate" repairs is to add fans to the two bathrooms that don't currently have them (go figure--two bathrooms with showers, no fans, one half-bath with a fan). What brands would you recommend?
My wife likes the sound of the fan, so I'm thinking 1.0-2.0 sones would be great. The main bath is about 65 square feet, while the other is only about 30 (yes, it's really small), though we're considering expanding that one eventually, so it'd probably get the same size fan as the main bathroom.
I went to Home Depot, as well as my local hardware store, to check out their selections, but most of the "demo" models were either not plugged in or broken, so I couldn't test many out.
Also, would the light in a fan/light combination be bright enough to act as the primary light source?
Thanks in advance, -David
If installation allows I would look for a fan with the motor at the exhaust. Can be more powerful and quiet. Also use a timer switch so it can run several minutes after a shower and the bath is empty..... it will turn off automatically getting more of the humid air out.

Installation would allow that (ceiling goes straight to unfinished attic), but, again, my wife has made it clear that she likes some noise from the fan, so she wouldn't. And we're still newly-wed enough that she gets to veto. ;-)
Will look into the timer switch. Thanks!
-David
David Gale wrote:

1. Tell your wife the fan noise might mask the sound of a mainiac with a knife. Rent "Psycho" from Blockbuster.
2. Tell your wife that since you plan to shower together forever, a compromise is in order.
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:41:14 -0400, David Gale

The lights that come in the low noise Panasonic fans aren't. You need another light. Personally, regardless of what your wife says, I'd put in Panasonic fans. It's nice not hearing anything when you shower.
--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply
David Gale wrote:

I just put in a Braun a few months ago. It is quiet and the light is plenty bright for a small to mid size bath. I kept it on a dimmer, but if you do not need to dim it a fluorescent lamp could be even brighter.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
<< My wife likes the sound of the fan, so I'm thinking 1.0-2.0 sones would be great. >>
If sound doesn't matter, then pick a fan with the highest CFM rating. Most decent sized bathrooms work best with approximately 100 CFM units. In ant size rating there will be a variety of prices, but none are all that costly. Notice the difference in quality of the pricier ones, like plated hardware, better paint, etc.
<< Also, would the light in a fan/light combination be bright enough to act as the primary light source? >>
NO. You'll need auxilliary lighting over your vanity mirror. And consider one of the new night-lamp/outlet combos from Pass & Seymour-Lergrand (TM8HWL-ICC). It has a LED nightlamp set that will probably outlast your house. These are required in hallways by some building codes but IMHO they're handy as can be scattered all around the house in dark areas. They come in white, almond and ivory colors so far, but not brown or black,.so you may have to paint your own. HTH
Joe

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. She wants the noise; I don't want too much; hence my desire for 1.0 to 2.0. I was eyeing a .8 sones model at HD, but she said it was too quiet.

Yes, we're planning on that. We currently have a POS ceiling light as the primary, with auxillary lights alongside the mirror; I was wondering whether I could replace the primary with a fan/light combo, or if I should replace it with a light and add in a fan next to it. My big question there is how bright the lights are after being filtered through the standard glazing--since all the fan/light combos we saw had translucent white glazing rather than totally transparent, it's hard to know how bright a 100-watt bulb would look. Would the light from a fan/light combo be strong enough to act as a primary (not sole) light source?
Thanks again, -David
David Gale wrote:

You have my pity. You must love her greatly to live with a woman who WANTS the noise. She's one in a million.
BTW when you get it home it will sound much louder than it did on display. The small room makes it sound a lot louder. Take a small radio into the bath and set the volume to a nice level. Now got to HD and play it at the same level, I doubt if you can hear it.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
David Gale wrote:
<snip>

100 watts would probably too much heat for such a small lamp. Make sure you look into that. --Mike

Most of the fan/light combos I looked at said they used 100 watt bulbs, so I'm assuming that's not too hot for them.
-David

thats the key. just make sure you dont go higher than what it says on the box. some are rated for less.
randy

if by primary you mean sole light source, i think not. not necessarily because it isnt bright enough, but because its probably not in a good location. better to also have lights at the mirror itself. keeps the ladies happy. its also nice when you need to fix/clean something in there and can brighten it up real good instead of working around your shadow.
randy
Sones as a sound rating is BS and deceptive, DB or decibils is more realistic. Sones are Apx 1/10 th of Db . a 3 Db increase takes a doubling of power in amplifiers. Panasonic is quiet and good, But my Broan has a 3 way switch , Lights on a dimmer, Heat lamp and fan on a timer, all custom. If wife likes noise, get CFM and be happy.
Would be great to rig up a moisture sensor to turn on the fan and a timer to keep in on for a period of time then shutoff automatically.
My fans were wired to a seperate switch, but finally had to wire to the light switch, got tired of trying to convince the kids and wife to turn the fan on when they shower and was starting to have a mildew problem.
I like the idea of the timer as would be great to have stay on for a little longer after they are done.
My biggest issue is they complain all the time when they want to be in the bath and not taking showers complaining of the noise.
MC

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 15:13:20 -0500, m Ransley wrote:

Is it a timer that you have to turn to a time value or simply push a button (or flip a switch) and the fan runs for a set amount of time?
Later, Mike (substitute strickland in the obvious location to reply directly) ----------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@att.net
Please send all email as text only - HTML mail is automatically filtered to the trash and I might not catch it.
I STRONGLY suggest and agree with a timer. For a major reason that most people are not aware of. When the CO meters/alarms became popular, the Fire Dept. I served with was plagued with many alarms from homes were people came home from work/whatever to find their CO alarm sounding.
With our very accurate meters we would indeed find evidence of CO in the home but now could not find a cause. After a couple of these calls we found a common thread. The people were showering and then leaving the house. But for whatever reason they were NOT turning off the bathroom exhaust fans.
We soon found from the manufacturers that even a small exhaust fan could evacuate enough air that the house would pull a negative pressure and normal furnace or water heater gases were not venting to the outside but being pulled into the house setting off the alarms.
In today's tight house construction techniques, not enough make up air was entering the cracks and crevices.
After explaining the situation to the Village inspectors, they introduced a building code that all home exhaust fans in new or remodeled residences be wired onto timers.
A strong safety issue if you shower before retiring for the night and forget to turn off an ultra quiet exhaust fan.

Yea FIREBRICK why not mandate working Flues. BS,BS.BS. your answer
Actually our town now requires fresh air vents in the house where a gas appliance such as a dryer is used so he may have a valid point.

Fresh air vents are the coming thing. But most older homes may not have this feature. Many of the higher efficiency pvc pipe type furnace now also install a intake pipe that feed fresh air into the combustion process.