bathroom fan not completely vented to soffit vent?

I have read the Lowes.com page: http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=howTo&p=Improve/installbathfan.html&rn=RightNavFiles/rightNavHeatingCooling
I discovered when I took off one of our eavestroughs that the fascia board was quite rotted in one small area. When I remove the rotted section I discovered this:
http://eteamz.active.com/amtrakfastball/images/soffitvent.jpg
The bathroom fan wasn't completely vented to the outside! (There is a soffit vent under the pipe elbow, but the elbow isn't directly connected to the soffit vent).
My question - what kind of soffit vent do I use to attach to the pipe elbow?
Howie

If you have a vinyl covered vented soffit outside just extend the duct to the nearest opening so it vents thru the soffit vent openings to the outside.

elbow?
the
We have the old style aluminium soffit vents (basically an aluminium screen). Should the transition from the pipe elbow to vinyl tubing to soffit vent be air tight?
PoCambo wrote:

Unless the pipe is tightly sealed to make sure all the air goes out the vent and that the vent has enough open area this is not going to work well. In addition it is recommended that you direct any such venting away from the house and any other vents that may draw the damp air back in.
Frankly trying to vent out the soffit is a bad idea in my opinion. I suspect that is why you don't see vents made for that use. I suggest redirecting it through the roof and repair your soffit knowing that now it will not be damaged again.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

the
well.
the
I have seen a number of website that say to use this type of vent??, such as http://www.cornerhardware.com/howto/ht064.html , and http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=howTo&p=Improve/installbathfan.html&rn=RightNavFiles/rightNavHeatingCooling
I suggest

Howie wrote:

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=howTo&p=Improve/installbathfan.html&rn=RightNavFiles/rightNavHeatingCooling
Your first reference suggest a soffit vent as one of three choices. It appears to show the vent away from any other soffit vents and using a free flowing vent fixture. The second one from Lowes, is less clear, but if you try to find a soffit vent on the same web site, you will not find one. Interesting that they recommend a procedure and then do not provide the needed fittings.
I might also note that the original message was due to soffit damage due to improper installation and I will add that this such improper installation is not at all uncommon.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=howTo&p=Improve/installbathfan.html&rn=RightNavFiles/rightNavHeatingCooling
It
you
due
installation
good idea, I'll use a roof vent.

A guy at "alt.hvac" showed me this neat eve vent:
(http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.ACCT122658/sc.2/category.26/it.A/id.32 / .f;jsessionid112b791f4353b6408954304f0a987282c9991fa4d0.qQvJq2PEmlnva30Q- BbQmkLz-ATzr6Lzn6rzqwTxpQOUc30KaNDNo6XKq6zInRmTbgbNo6XK-kDvrA4Ka3mIqQvJq2PEm lnva30Q-BbQmkLz-ATzr6Lzn6rzqwTxpQOxah8LbN8Ka3aSawb48QvJpkixn6jAmljGr5XDqQLvp Ae_)...
what do you guys think?
Howie

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=howTo&p=Improve/installbathfan.html&rn=RightNavFiles/rightNavHeatingCooling
soffit
elbow?

My husband installed one a year ago. We thought about putting it through the roof but decided to go with this first. It seems to work okay ... at least it's better than putting all that damp air into the attic.
btw, he said he got it at a Lowes, but they might not carry it any more.

Did he get the "EveVent" I mentioned above?
Anyone tried this one? : http://www.duraflo.com/_tier3.asp?x=1&y (&z=2
Howie

NEVER, EVER vent a bathroom fan into an attic. All the farts are sucked up thru that fan, and they concentrate in the attic. Sooner or later there will be an electrical spark, or bolt of lightning, and KABOOM !!!!!!

It's not being vented into the attic. The moist exhaust air is being expelled out the vent to the outside air which is located in the soffit.
Howie

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.ACCT122658/sc.8/category.-108/it.A /
http://www.dryerbox.com/images/sales/eavekit_lg2.jpg
through