Barn and Fence paint, Behr

I know this is stupid--but tell me why it wouldn't work. Why not paint crappy interior paneling in a low rent apartment (I am the owner) with $9/gal white Behr Barn and Fence paint? It covers well, is non-toxic, an oil base (linseed?) with latex. I've primed with Zinsser oil base primer. The room is on North side of the building--one window. Fading shouldn't be a problem. I would want to tint it with a small amout of tint. Would I live to regret this? RowdyRuby

Reply to
nielsen11

I work in an HD paint dept, and it should work fine. The key is priming...cause most paneling has a clear plastic film over the printed wood. My only concern is the oil part of the base...it's there to "sink into" wood. That won't happen here. Could make for some drying/evaporation problems...not too likely, but possible. For $9, a small test paint might be a smart idea. Good Luck

Reply to
Curmudgeon

I have used that cheap "barn" paint. Mine did not cover well and I would be surprise if yours does. I used mine on an outdoor project and had to use several coats to get any kind of finish. My personal advise is to avoid cheap paint unless it is project you never expect to repaint. It can be double or triple the work to apply a cheap paint esp when you consider how long it lasts.

As to: will you live to regret it? answer: I think so. Painting is a lot of work especially if you want to do a good job. It make absolutely no sense whatsoever to buy cheap paint when you consider how much energy it takes to prepare and apply. It makes even less sense when you consider how long the finish can be expected to last. My advice it to buy a better line of paint. It will be less work to apply it. The finish will be better. Most importantly: it will last longer meaning you won't have to paint again nearly as soon.

Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence

Many but not all exterior paints are formulated to "chalk" i.e. they are intentionally made so that the surface will gradually wear off. This is done so that outdoor painted surfaces don't need frequent cleaning. You wouldn't want to get up on a ladder & scrub the walls very often, would you? If you've ever put your hand against an outdoor painted surface, or leaned against one with your clothes, and have seen the powdery coloring transfer from the surface, you have seen this effect in action. Don't know about the Behr paint you mentioned, but chalking would not be a good thing for indoor use. besides, if you just want the cheapest paint available, there are some that are even less than $9/gal. Whether "cheap" is the same as "cost effective" is another argument that I'm sure others will address.

Reply to
lwasserm

Its either oil base or Latex , not both. Either way its cheap but should work.

Reply to
m Ransley

I've read in several places that typically because outdoor paint includes outgassing mildewicides and other nasties that you don't want indoors. Wish I had more details. Perhaps others know more.

Reply to
Todd H.

"Lawrence" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I used the oil Barn & Fence paint from Lowes on a very large shed with painted (long ago) plywood. Covered great considering how dry it was.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Don't buy Behr, it only encourages Home Depot to keep stocking it. There are several differences between interior and exterior paint - the exceptions being those paints that are rated for both. I believe smell is one difference, so there is a chance you'll be stuck with a permanent odor if you use that barn paint.

If you really want to be that cheap, just go to a paint store and get some of their leftover mistints. Some places give it away for free, some charge $4 or so. Get some interior paint.

Reply to
TakenEvent

Reply to
nielsen11