Backup for Well Water During Power Outages

Page 3 of 6
On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 18:00:39 +0000 (UTC), HerHusband

Living with the same situation, I finally just bit the bullet and bought a generator. I have had it 3 years, new in the box.

My generator in a box sits along with a quart of good motor oil, and a spray can of ether.
Of course, the OP will need some wiring skill.
On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 18:00:39 +0000 (UTC), HerHusband
Ok, you are lazy, and there aren't any good solutions for lazy people.
If you weren't so lazy, I would reccomend that generator solution. It will not only solve your water problems, but it would also provide some lights and fans to move the heat from the wood stove around.
HerHusband wrote:

A small generator set is really your best option . Use it to fill the tank<s> then shut it down . Most modern sets have a valve to shut off fuel flow so you can run the carb dry , and a little sta-bil in the tank <especially if you can get non-eth fuel> will keep the gas usable for months .
--
Snag

On 11/28/2014 2:35 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

My ETQ two stroke developed some really awful rod knock after I ran it dry a couple times. Need to use the rocker switch, and leave the gas mix in the crankcase. Still runs, but the quiet is gone.
I thought I was helping, by running it dry.
On 11/28/2014 3:10 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

According to the experts at Stihl, running it dry is the proper thing to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPRwCf6-ybs

On 11/28/2014 7:36 PM, Fake ID wrote:

Well, if I ever get an ETQ brand generator by Stihl, I'll have the correct information.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Friday, November 28, 2014 5:00:02 PM UTC-8, Stormin Mormon wrote:

So far you haven't given any cite to any manufacturer saying to "fog it".
Harry K
On Friday, November 28, 2014 4:36:50 PM UTC-8, Fake ID wrote:

According to every chain saw manual I have ever seen (and I have seen a whole bunch) they should be run dry before putting them away. Even at the last 'cough' they have just drawn charge of fuel/oil mix.
Harry K
On Friday, November 28, 2014 3:10:03 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

yeah, a two stroke that draws through the crankcase is the exception, don't run those dry.
nate

And if his attic was made with trusses he probably wouldn't want that weight on them. I wouldn't.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

You fog 2 strokes

I'm not sure why you are telling me that I do some thing, when I've got no idea what it is you are telling me that I do. How would you know that I do this "whatever" thing?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I made the mistake of getting a generator about 20 years ago and just opened the box to see what kind of plugs and oil I would need, then sitting th ebox back over it.
The wiring is no problem for me. Had that taken care, but when it came time for me to use the generator, I could not get it started. It was dark and I could not see it too well with just the flashlight. The next day my son came over and we looked at it. Seems that it has an on/off switch that I missed seeing in the dark, and the manual did not have it listed either, They showed the very old style of springie thing over the spark plug to shut off the engine. I doubt that method had been used in many years.
On 11/28/2014 4:13 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I've had my share of untested equipment moments. Isn't it the cold dark nights that really are a mess. And that's when you most need the camp fire, generator, propane heater, and so on. Strap on head lamp. And the list goes on.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/28/2014 4:13 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Perhaps you are the one who is lazy and cheap? And so you call names on electrician you've never met?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Friday, November 28, 2014 4:12:23 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I start the generator on the first weekend of every month, just to make sure it still runs and generates electricity. Starting this month, I'll also be starting the snow blower at the same time.
Paul

Wow. It has to be 40 years since I've seen a gas motor with a ground tab over the spark plug. That's amazing...

Presumably by reading the owner's manual for the engine.
You shouldn't run 2 cycle engines dry as the fuel is used for lubrication inside the motor.
On 11/28/2014 5:04 PM, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:

Fretwell told me that I fog two strokes.
I'm still wondering how he knows that I do that.