Backup

This message is probably beyond the scope of this newsgroup, but not sure where else to turn for advice. I live on the first floor of a three floor condo building. There is no basement. The main line out to the street is cleaned out twice a year according to management. The last time I saw it and the last time I was having a problem was about a year ago. At that time the drainage was working very well. The water faucets were opened in several units and flowed out to the street. Several times this past week there has been junk in the basin of the kitchen sink. They were clean when I went to work and the stoppers were not in. Today there was also a couple of puddles on the floor. How can this be? Water can not run uphill.

TIA

Reply to
Road Warrior

No, but it can run *downhill* from the upper units into yours (if that is the easiest path for it).

Were the puddles near the kitchen sink? No evidence of the toilet overflowing or stains in the bathtub? If only the kitchen, then the main sewer from the building is not at fault.

A real test of the kitchen drainage stack would be to fill all the kitchen sinks with water. Then, on a signal, let all the stoppers out.

Do some more detective work to get clues to the pattern and then present to the management.

---------- OT:Short story. The tenant on the bottom floor of a 13 story hi-rise would get flooded out every Sunday morning. Toilet overflowed, etc. Management baffled.

They finally did a search of each apartment in that stack. The top floor revealed that the tenant had 2 cats and that the "flushable" kitty litter was being flushed down every Sunday morning!

Due to some odd configuration in the bottom of the soil stack, the litter built up into a clump, causing all subsequent waste to overflow into the bottom unit.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim