Avast fraud

Page 3 of 5
On 08/21/2014 02:25 PM, Nil wrote:

I have heard of peanut butter, but never bread :-)
Todd wrote:

I thought 'bugger' was what the public school types did to each other.
Todd wrote:

Just make sure they are Hebrew National sausage.
Oren wrote:

Fleishig, milchig, all them pots and pans look the same to me. Let me in a kosher kitchen for 5 minutes and somebody will be buying new cookware. Or maybe deciding a little soap and water can fix anything.
On 8/22/2014 12:29 AM, rbowman wrote:

I hate to milk this one, but you hit that one out of the pork. Of course, maybe I'm not in the same ball pork.
Woman went to the Jewish Deli. She had a gallon of milk and some sliced meat, they refused to kosher out at the register.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 8/22/2014 7:03 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Put in the same bag! Verboten.
Love it how a thread deteriorates. HB's probably having paroxysms.

no, she was a victim of her own stupidity
On 08/21/2014 10:21 PM, ChairMan wrote:

Fool me once: shame on you. Fool me twice: shame on me.
I think this was her first time.

That statement alone would send a red flag to any rational person that they were fixin' to get screwed. NOTHING!!!!! fixes everything, not even duct tape : ) Simple regular cleanup of your puter and defragin' can do more than most "payfor" utilities

So you have maligned avast! for something with which they had nothing to do.
Can't comment about registering the paid version of avast! as I have always used the free version; registering it is simple...open avast!, enter the registration number.
BTW, did the salesman have a heavy accent?
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

No, he was one of the telemarketers that work out of the state prison. Maybe a slight Bronx accent...
I STILL would like to know where in the computer world a person could go to complain about what seems like shoddy business practice Ombusman? Magazine? Regulatory body???

You still didn't provide any details, so it's hard for anyone to assess the situation, but it sounds to me like you got what you paid for. You've apparently taken hours of their time and they were able to do a system restore for you. No one could guarantee to fix your PC and rcover your data in all cases.
You really should just try to find someone local, or a friend who can manage your PC for you. With phone support you might get someone from India reading from a list. You might even get someone who really know what they're doing. But even then there are limits to remote support. And you're not likely to get great support for $179/year. How much time can they afford to spend for that cost? I know people who get tech support for $200 *plus service calls*. The $200 only covers a visit once per year to renew AV, renew a Carbonite backup subscription, etc. The tech support people are basically getting the customer to buy various protection and backup services so that tech support won't be needed.
On Friday, August 22, 2014 12:57:13 PM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:

We don't know the specifics of the plan she bought. But clearly no plan can guarantee that they can fix any PC problem over the phone. Are they going to send a new MB or hard drive throught the phone, if that fails? And from just a software standpoint, if certain things get corrupted, at some point, the only logical thing to do is restore the system back to the as-shipped condition. Virtually all systems sold today have a backup image on the drive to allow you to do that.
If I were HB, and the system is really screwed up, I'd backup the files I want to save to either some local media or the cloud, then execute the procedure where you interrupt the boot and have it wipe the thing clean and reload the as-shipped state.
trader_4 wrote:

Hi, It makes me wonder how come OP has so much trouble with computer? Avast is in U.K. if I remember right. I know they come into your PC trying to fix(mess?) up you problem. I'll never let any one peek into my PC under any circumstances.....

On Friday, August 22, 2014 9:57:13 AM UTC-7, Mayayana wrote:

ne?

If I provided "details" of hours and hours of fumbling on the part of these so-called "techs" it would take a book that nobody would want to read.
but it sounds to me like you got what you paid for. You've apparently taken hours of their time
WhAAATTT!!! They (incompetents) took hours of MY TIME
and they were able to do a system restore for you.
Did you miss where I said SEVERAL time in this thread that I can do a Syste m Restore myself! I contacted the people I bought this service from to rep air specific problems on my PC.
No one could guarantee to fix your PC and rcover your data in all cases.
Ah, but that's EXACTLY what the silver-tongued salesman said, as I have pos ted SEVERAL times in this thread!! If I was naive or inexperienced enough to believe them, have you never made a mistake in YOUR life!!! You really should just try to find someone local, a friend who can manage y our PC for you. With phone support you might get someone from India reading from a list. You might even get someone who really know what they're doing . But even then there are limits to remote support. And you're not likely t o get great support for $179/year. How much time can they afford to spend f or that cost? I know people who get tech support for $200 *plus service ca lls*. The $200 only covers a visit once per year to renew AV, renew a Carbo nite backup subscription,

rious protection and backup services so that tech support won't be needed.
I haven't been out on the support market before, so I would have no way of knowing about the price structure you discuss above. Knowing no better, I believed the salesman, and it sounds like you're blaming me for doing so!
The local person I have hired in the past isn't up to the job, so I will h ave to look for a better person; I don't want to put my neighbors through t his! If I have to pay someone, I'm taking "Avast" or whoever the outside p rovider is, to Small Claims to recoup my damages.
HB
Oren posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

I like that! I also look at this as unenlightened voters looking for freebies or one agenda (that doesn't affect the nation as a whole). I want my Obamaphone so I can schedule a round with the Prez.
--
Tekkie

ChairMan posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

She(it) proves it again and again. I haven't k/f it yet because it amuses me at times. Cheap thrills.
--
Tekkie

Higgs Boson posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

Higgy when you going to follows rules and limit your bloviating to 80 nonsensical characters? You obviously called Dell or Hp or... that's what they always tell the nut-cases to clear the call out.

Once they know whom they are dealing with, no one.
--
Tekkie

alt.home.repair:

You contradict yourself. You already admitted that the "company" that sold you this (bogus) "policy" was NOT Avast. Please keep your fables straight.
Avast does not sell any product such as you describe. You have not and can not show us any official reference to any such product... because it doesn't exist.
If you payed by credit card you can easily see who collected your money. You might even be able to dispute the charge. I'm quite sure you will see that you didn't pay Avast for this (bogus) service.
But in the end, I predict you will never get restitution. Deal with it, take note of the lesson learned, and stop whining.

Scammers like the one who suckered you don't have "ombudsmen."
On Friday, August 22, 2014 9:01:31 PM UTC-4, Nil wrote:

This is an example of the major differences in approaches to problems between libs and conservatives. Libs think there should be an ombudsman, a regulatory body, someone they can turn to because they are disatisfied with a service. We should have people just sitting around, collecting salaries, to be there for this kind of thing. Conservatives just say, well, I probably shouldn't have bought that $179 support contract, learnb from it and move on. Or, being more self-reliant, they may not have bought it to begin with. I don't understand how anyone could honestly believe that a phone support contract could be guaranteed to fix "anything" that's wrong with her PC.
I would think that maybe they could at least talk her through backing up her files she wants to save, then doing a full restore of the PC to the as-shipped load. That should fix any software problems, but she will have to re-install any software. It's actually not a bad idea after several years to get rid of all the crap that slowly winds up clogging and slowing down most PCs. When I've done it, I've been amazed at how fast the PC suddenly is.