Automatic pool cleaner gets caught on anti-vortex main drain

I have a Dolphin robotic pool cleaner, it gets stuck on the main drain, which is on the side of the pool (not the bottom), at the bottom of the deep end (which is in the middle of our pool). The drain cover is about

3-4" above the bottom of the pool.

The Dolphin distributor (SmartPool) makes a product called a SmartRing, but this product is obviously meant to rest on top of a drain on the bottom. I bought one from a local dealer and realized once I got it assembled that it won't rest well around the drain, especially since the drain is on the side of the pool and so close to the bottom (ie. 3-4" from the bottom). The radius of this SmartRing is too large.

Polaris also makes a UniCover, but I think it is the same kind of product, designed for the bottom of a pool.

So, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I think I will either have to try and return this unit or custom make some kind of drain "ramp" that will fit around my drain cover (smaller radius), but also stay in place because the drain is on the side of the pool instead of the bottom.

Has anyone run into this problem or has an idea? Perhaps some kind of ring/ramp that is smaller in diameter and I could screw it or clamp it to the drain cover somehow?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
M Osborne