Automatic ice maker question

I have a Frigidaire automatic ice maker that works fine except the ice freezes together in the bottom of the bucket and forms big chunks. The temperature is 10 degrees F so I don't think that's the issue. Other than that it works fine. And no, the freezer is not overstocked. Any ideas?
BTW- the refrigerator sat unused for over a year, could this have caused any problems?
Thanks.
--
---------------------------
Scall5

Could be going into defrost for too long. Not sure how you fix that except to change the defrost timer.

This is Turtle.
There is two possiblitys here but i sure can't see it from here.
The ice maker is hanging up in heat mode a little too long when in heat to loosen the ice from the bowl to release the ice. If this is the case. You should not have the sticking problem if the ice bend is only half full.
The other is 10F in the freezer area is pretty high for my thinking but could be alright if it was during defrost cycle but not all the time. Most all ice makers have a shut down switch that will turn the ice maker off at 12F or above. This 10F in the freezer could mean it is not keeping up enough to not let the freezer area go up to 33F during a full load time or defrost timer is shuting it down say during the nite and let it get to 33F in the freezer and then when you jar it when you open the door. It [ defrost timer ] goes back into run or starts back to running.
What I'm getting at here is +10F is just a little high to be the norm.
TURTLE

It could be that the tray is overfilling and therefore spilling into the bucket and freezing.

Yep, that happens. It is due to the defrost cycle. You'll also notice the cubes get smaller, as each defrost cycle takes a little bit off.
I've found a quick push back and forth of the ice container, banging the mass against the walls is enough to unglue them.

This process is worse over time, if you haven't used the ice in like a month or more, I'd pitch the solid mass, and start over fresh.
You'll also notice the cubes get smaller, as each defrost cycle takes a little bit off.
If you know your not going to be using the fridge for a while, empty the ice cube container, and lift the arm to stop the ice maker.

Perhaps water vapor in the air freezes onto the cubes and freezes them together? Actually, having more items in your freezer will reduce the amount of water in the air and actually increase the freezer efficiency. I doubt the frig storage has anything to do with the chunks.
Hi,
The most common cause of this is an incorrect fill level. And strangely enough, both underfill and overfill can cause it!
Here's an article excerpted from my newsletter that will help you with this: http://www.DavesRepair.com/DIYhelp/DIYicemakertips.htm
Hope that's of some help.
God bless,
Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA www.DavesRepair.com snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com 570-363-2404