Attaching gaskets to wood burning stove doors ?

Anyone found anything better than furnace cement? It's really not well suited to the job since it's not very sticky, it fills the gasket groove, and makes whatever part of the gasket that touches it stiff and non-functional. It's also a real pain to clean off each year or two when I replace the gaskets.

Is there a better adhesive? Anyone experimented ?

Reply to
- Bob -

I don't know what "furnace cement" is. I just use the stuff they recommended at the wood stove store. I think it might have been called "wood stove gasket adhesive" or something like that. Consistency of toothpaste, somewhat goopy and sticky, if I recall. The gasket is held in pretty well.

But I'm no expert. I didn't know you had to replace the gasket each year or two -- mine is going on 3 years and and seems fine each time I inspect it.

-Kevin

Reply to
kevin

Furnace cement from the small plastic containers is what we normally use. It offers a real advantage in that when it has cured it is brittle and easy to remove. Plus it seems to be stickier than stuff from the larger buckets. So we buy a small "can" every year or so to make sure what we use is fresh.

The "trick" is that you do not use it like a glue or caulk. Do not fill the groove. Only use small amounts of it. Just put little dabs of it at key places like the ends of the rope, corners, etc.

That way you never are applying enough to soak thru the sealing rope. You're just using the cement to hold the rope in place. And you get the cushioning effect and better sealing when the seal rope is compressed on closing.

But is the door or top is crushing the seal way down, you need to adjust the closing latch to avoid that over compressing.

btw we operate 4 wood stoves in our house and burn 9+ cords of wood each year. So the gaskets do get a little bit of a work out.

T-Ulk

Reply to
T-ulk

Something is very wrong with the way the stove is constructed or with the way you operate it if you are replacing gaskets each year. I put 3-4 cords through our stove for over 15 years and never replaced a gasket. Grew up with wood stove and can't remember my father ever replacing a gasket.

Not sure what they use for stickum; ask a stove manufacturer.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon