Attach Drywall to Sill Plate?

Hi All,

I am remodeling my garage and noticed that the drywall is not attached (screwed) to the sill plate and somewhat bowed outwards at the bottom because of this. I plan on attaching 1X4s for baseboard with finishing nails but I am concerned that hammering might break the drywall due to the age of it.

Should I firm it up with drywall screws in a few places into the sill plate or not? Don't want to waste my time if not needed. Any advice appreciated :)

James

Reply to
James Harvey

ached (screwed) to the sill plate and somewhat bowed outwards at the bottom because of this. I plan on attaching 1X4s for baseboard with finishing nai ls but I am concerned that hammering might break the drywall due to the age of it. Should I firm it up with drywall screws in a few places into the si ll plate or not? Don't want to waste my time if not needed. Any advice appr eciated :) James

A couple or three photos, a close-up, a med and a distant shot would sure b e helpful since you don't say how bowed out the sheetrock is.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Hi, Bowing drywall? Rather frame behind drywall is bowing.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I would share that concern.

If it's bowed out more than just a little, those drywall screws are also likely to break it. Why do you need or want the trim molding?

Reply to
trader4

Use screws, not nails.

Reply to
harryagain

I'm guessing this is sitting on top of a block or concrete foundation? I'd add screws. You might check and see if there is both a sill plate as well as a wall bottom board? Like this.

In that case I would screw to the non-pt board and trim the bottom of the wall boa rd so it ends at the top of the pt sill plate. The pt on a foundation sill deals with the damp block/concrete and sort of protects the construction a bove there. Wall board doesn't handle damp well and that's probably why it has bowed out. It's damp on the backside from the contact with the sill p late. Long term the wallboard will deteriorate further if it stays damp. I would also look at a non-wood solution for adding trim to it. There are composite trim boards you could use. Personally I install wallboard in gar ages so the bottom edge is several inches above the foundation and then I t rim to cover the gap using 8" hardiplank beaded siding as a trim board. Th e hardiplank won't care about a little moisture.

Reply to
jamesgang

On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 20:12:56 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote (in article ):

They are bowed less than 3/8" I'd say. Can probably live with that.

Reply to
James Harvey

On Thu, 1 Aug 2013 01:53:02 -0500, Tony Hwang wrote (in article ):

Could be. Hadn't thought of that.

Reply to
James Harvey

On Thu, 1 Aug 2013 07:59:20 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote (in article ):

It's just a little. Want to protect the bottom edge of drywall from being easily damaged.

Reply to
James Harvey

On Thu, 1 Aug 2013 13:13:28 -0500, jamesgang wrote (in article ):

Yeah that's pretty much what it looks like but the bottom plate is just a single board, not doubled up as far as I can tell. Thanks for the suggestions!

Reply to
James Harvey

Concerned about wasting time, huh? If you would have just screwed in an appropriate amount of screws to solve the problem it would have probably taken a lot less time than it took to post your question.

That's my advice.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Don't know about OTs construction, but most sill plates are bolted to the concrete foundation. I know mine are because I was there when it was done.

Reply to
willshak