attach a coaxial cable jack

Page 1 of 3

I need to attach one coaxial cable jack. I've never done it before but I know the idea. I don't have a crimping tool. Can it be crimped well enough with pliers instead of a proper crimping tool?
--
Replace you know what by j to email

If you go to radio shack, they should have screw on coax connectors. You can probably get it to work with a pliers, but it may come apart

Thanks. When I was in the store I didn't see screw-on ones, but I'll ask.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Jan Philips wrote:

I think I found the screw on ones at Radio Shack. I've worked in the electronics industry most of my life an I'm picky about things like connectors. The screw on ones I got really work great!

screw on ones are very bad for satellite use, where they must carry power.
dont use for sats............

screw on ones are very bad for satellite use, where they must carry power.
dont use for sats............
The screw on type and the crimp on type suck, but if you don't have compression tools and fittings, you do the best you can
Tony wrote:

By working great they certainly screw on well. but they aren't known for longevity and performance. Even the cable TV companies who are well known for "economy" work will not use twist on connectors.

I have used twist-on connectors once. There were a lot of noise and interference problems. Crimped connectors were better, but came off too easily. Compression connectors stay on.
BTW, The only compression connectors I have are for RG6.

Mark Lloyd
George wrote:

I must have good luck with them, although I have never had satellite and haven't had cable since.... 1984. Now it's an off air antenna with a rotator.

You don't see those much anymore. I was in a store a couple of years ago and there was a guy who had cable all his life, but was giving it up for an antenna. He didn't know how an antenna setup worked.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Jan Philips wrote:

I don't recall seeing them in HD, but Lowe's and Menards have TV antennas. I think Menards has rotators as well.
We have satellite (DirecTV), but we still use an antenna to receive our local PBS station's additional programming that DirecTV is not transmitting. This includes the MHz Worldview channel, which has news broadcasts from many countries and many foreign-language movies (subtitled, of course) -- Italian, Norwegian, French, Icelandic, etc. Also Australian Rules Football!
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

I just found a way to get one of my local PBS stations. I was really missing it. The mountain behind me makes things tricky. It blocks a lot of signals from the closer stations, and it plays tricks with the stations I do receive. Some of my stations I have to turn the rotator to a different direction than were the signal is coming from. I think some of the signals bounce off the mountain and then to me. Actually it helps in some ways because otherwise another mountain blocks the line of site path to some of the channels.
Jan Philips wrote:

LOL, I suppose the younger generation doesn't know much about TV antenna's. I had cable back when the best part of cable was having NO Commercials! Now you pay twice!

HD or Lowe's is probably the best place to find them.I think they cost 10 for $6.00 for the screw on kind I hate F connectors, it not a matter of if they are going to fail it is a matter of when. The biggest maintenance task the cable guys do is going around replacing cable ends. Its not that the ends are poorly made, they are poorly designed. The cables copper center conductor that forms the male part of the connector will eventually corrode.
On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 21:01:02 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE

Yes, I had the Cable Guy out here a couple of years ago about the internet frequently dropping and he replaced a few connectors and solved the problem.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

JIMMIE wrote:

Thats really the main reason why cable companies don't use/won't accept big box quality connectors.

Cable company stuff isnt any better, some is worse. When I wired my house for cable I used DeOxit on all the connectors and put heatshrink tubing on them. I havent had a single problem inside the house since then. EAsy to tell when your connectors are getting bad if you have a digital cable box. You will have to google yor box but you can find out how to pull up the data screen for the box on your TV and it will show the signal strength for each channel. I was able to get the minimum signal for my box and it was about -60db. MAbe that was 60db SNR cant remem ber now its been a while since I had to do it.
Jimmie

Just about any place that sells coax connectors, including Home Depot and Lowes has screw on connectors.
They'll never be as secure as the crimp on type or as good as the factory made ones that the cable companies supply, but they'll work.
RBM wrote:

Depends on application, and where the cable is. For inside and for OTA TV, damn near anything will work, sort of. For out in the weather, or someplace that is a major pain to get to, or if the cable actually handles power, I'd buy a tool or a new cable. You have any friends into fancy TVs and satt systems? Odds are one of them has a tool. Or go to www.MPJA.com , or Harbor Freight, and look there. Not the best quality stuff, but cheap, and should be good for a few uses. By the way, you want the connectors that go together like a toilet feed line connection, not the ones that crimp on.
Tell us more what this cable is connected to, please. -- aem sends...

It is an inactive jack in the house. The cable is there but there is no connector on it (and just a blank plate).
--
Replace you know what by j to email