AT&T DSL

Anyone here have experience with AT&T DSL service/repair? I'm considering switching to AT&T DSL and was wondering how well they respond to line problems.

Reply to
CRNG

I've had ATT DSL for many years. Twice, there were line problems out on the street someplace that not only affected me, but the entire neighborhood. They fixed them in about 24 - 36 hours.

One secret though. If you call for DSL support, you go through all the nonsense to check your modem, settings, and crap that someone has on their troubleshooting chart. Waste of time. You call the phone repair number and tell them you have having problems with the line.

I'd rather have the faster cable speeds, but that is not a simple option for me and ATT has been satisfactory.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have U-Verse, which is DSL for the Internet connection. Although it is not as fast as cable, I can tell you the service from AT&T is MUCH better than Comcast. Also, unless you are downloading tons of data, you will probably find it fast enough. It is fast enough for me. I have had U-Verse for over three years now and am very pleased.

Reply to
Ken

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 11:40:40 -0500, Ken wrote in Re Re: AT&T DSL:

My data usage is about 8Gbytes/month total down/up. Just curious: what download speed do you typically get from U-Verse?

Reply to
CRNG

Not terrible but you own all the hardware at your end. If anything goes wrong you'll buy a new modem. The price and speed really suck, though. If you have any alternatives, don't do DSL. Satellite is worse but not by much.

Reply to
krw

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 12:55:43 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in Re Re: AT&T DSL:

What I what to compare is AT&T (6.0M) DSL and possibly a Verizon 4G wireless router. I say "possibly" because I'm not sure yet if the V4G is available to me. The Verizon web site map say yes, but I need more than a map to believe Verizon.

Reply to
CRNG

I have DSL because Comcast was down several times a day. I found it so unreliable I decided slower was better than fast when it worked.

I run a server that tags the net once a minute and comcast was so bad my log file was full all the time.

Reply to
gfretwell

switching to AT&T DSL and was wondering how well they respond to line prob lems. -- Web based forums are like subscribing to 10 different newspapers a nd having to visit 10 different news stands to pickup each one. Email list- server groups and USENET are like having all of those newspapers delivered to your door every morning.

We have had AT&T DSL for a few years, no complaints. Every once in a while , maybe 2 times per month, we will get a message saying the connection is d own in the telco central office. But the connection has always been restor ed within a few seconds, so no problem.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I tested the download speed at

and it is 2.96Mbps. A file of 100MB takes about four minutes. They have faster options available for the Internet, but this is fine for me. Hope that helps.

Reply to
Ken

I would like to add to your comment: Last winter we had an ice storm that killed power for four days. Upon the return of power, U-Verse was up in minutes. Comcast customers waited another 4-7 days.

Reply to
Ken

I have both Comcast Xfinity (50/10) and AT$T Uverse (6/.768)

Obviously Comcast is 9x faster but they are both very stable and I have not had a problem with either one.

The only thing I don't like about the Uverse Motorola NVG510 modem is that it doesn't have a true bridge mode so your stuck with the NVG510s built in router...which really sucks.

Reply to
Mo

snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Incorrect -- they own it.

Incorrect again -- anything goes wrong, they come out and replace it free of charge.

Three strikes and you're out!

Reply to
Doug Miller

My 6M DSL line is 3M on a *good* day. 4G is *MUCH* faster (though I get crappy reception at home). There is also the data cap on wireless. I never hit my 6Gig LTE limit but I certainly would if I used it for my home Internet.

Reply to
krw

I don't find DSL to be all that reliable, either. I'm always having to cycle power on the modem and routers.

Reply to
krw

DSL is no different. I started out at $19.95. I'm up to $49.95 for

6M DSL. It was half that at my previous house (but I was lucky to get 768K).

On DSL?!

Reply to
krw

You're wrong. I have the bills to prove it.

Bullshit. I have the bills to prove otherwise. Just like the phone, they'll replace anything up to the demark box. After, tough luck. If they come out at all, they'll charge you through the nose.

You're lying, too. No surprise.

Reply to
krw

Depends on the provider and your contract. Earthlink through Brighthouse came out and put in a new modem a couple of years ago for me. Easy Peasy and 100% cost free.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

The subject is AT&T. It's possible their policy is different across the country but every place I've had AT&T DSL *I* have owned the hardware (even though they sometimes made me buy theirs).

Reply to
krw

I don't remember my speed, and I have Verizon, but I used to use some pretty thin phone wire (the kind used to go from the wall to the phone) to go from the the interface box 50 feet to the DSL modem. When I swtiched to thicker, stiffer, round, white wire, my download speed tripled and is now about what Verizon promised.

So when it was slower, it was my fault.

Reply to
micky

When are these people going to learn how to spell?

Reply to
micky