AT&T DSL

Page 1 of 3
Anyone here have experience with AT&T DSL service/repair? I'm considering switching to AT&T DSL and was wondering how well they respond to line problems.

I've had ATT DSL for many years. Twice, there were line problems out on the street someplace that not only affected me, but the entire neighborhood. They fixed them in about 24 - 36 hours.
One secret though. If you call for DSL support, you go through all the nonsense to check your modem, settings, and crap that someone has on their troubleshooting chart. Waste of time. You call the phone repair number and tell them you have having problems with the line.
I'd rather have the faster cable speeds, but that is not a simple option for me and ATT has been satisfactory.
CRNG wrote:

I have U-Verse, which is DSL for the Internet connection. Although it is not as fast as cable, I can tell you the service from AT&T is MUCH better than Comcast. Also, unless you are downloading tons of data, you will probably find it fast enough. It is fast enough for me. I have had U-Verse for over three years now and am very pleased.

My data usage is about 8Gbytes/month total down/up. Just curious: what download speed do you typically get from U-Verse?
CRNG wrote:

it is 2.96Mbps. A file of 100MB takes about four minutes. They have faster options available for the Internet, but this is fine for me. Hope that helps.
On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 18:01:19 -0700 (PDT), US President is the Enemy

In your case, that's 1000x too fast.

I don't remember my speed, and I have Verizon, but I used to use some pretty thin phone wire (the kind used to go from the wall to the phone) to go from the the interface box 50 feet to the DSL modem. When I swtiched to thicker, stiffer, round, white wire, my download speed tripled and is now about what Verizon promised.
So when it was slower, it was my fault.

Not buying it. After a mile of 24ga wire, a few tens of feet of 26ga isn't going to matter a whit. You had something else wrong that replacing the wire solved (or it was a good placebo).

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 13:52:20 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Well it was no placebo. I'd measured my speed a dozen times on a website that does that before I changed the wire; and I measure it a dozen times after I changed the wire, and it was consistent before and consistent afterwards.
As to why it changed, transmission of computer data is more complicated than analog sound or power to run a light bulb. I added sci.electronics.repair and maybe we'll find someone there who knows more than we do.
I don't know one, but maybe there's an active newsgroup that specializes in this sort of thing.

On 08/28/2013 11:32 AM, micky wrote:

I have Verizon DSL, and no fibers.

Maybe.

After a mile of (really) crappy 24ga. wire, not so much.

What sort of stuff? Electronics?
On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 20:46:06 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

No maybe. Do you think I can't read a number off the screen?

Yes, much. And there's more to the story.
I had bought special THIN phone wire with modular ends, so it would go through a narrow space. After I installed that, I could still listen to webradio but I couldn't download webpages. So I went back to the wire I had been using (typical wire, not especially thin, from the wall to the phone, with modular ends.) and everything worked again.
So then I though, maybe even this wire is too thin, and I changed to the round white wire with 4 wires inside, thicker, each wire is stiffer. It didnt' have modular plugs so I had to put a modular wall jack on each end, and plug a short modular cord in each end, and when connected, that's when the download speed tripled.

On 08/29/2013 12:06 AM, micky wrote:

I have no idea what you're reading or what else is going on. In short, yes.

No f'n way. Unless physics is different on your planet. What color is your sky?

You have something else wrong. A few tens of feet of wire isn't going to do it.

You probably had noise on the line. Perhaps the ends were rectifying a radio station, dunno, but it was *NOT* caused by thin wire.

Disintrest in knowledge noted.

That's entirely possible. You changed untwisted wire for twisted pair wire. Twisted pair cancels out interference, so I can well believe you saw an increase in your DSL sync speed.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Nope. After a mile of crappy phone company, ten feet of more crap isn't going to matter.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz escribió:

Clueless. Killfiled.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

You're wrong, but you don't care about the facts.
In sci.electronics.repair snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Sure it is. Do you understand what twisted-pair is? And why it's necessary?
The "mile of crappy phone company" wire is twisted pair for a reason. I'd suggest you learn something about RF signal propagation, which is what we're discussing for DSL.
    Jerry