Article: Tools for the kitchen drawer

From Popular Mechanics:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/how_to/4289556.html
I especially like the idea of a magnet on the end of a tape rule (for retrieving things...).

a screw driver with a flip shank with 2 sizes of standard and Phillips bits.
Trying to drive screws with a multi purpose hammer just sounds wrong.
metspitzer wrote:

In the olden days, people used a fern. Didn't work too well for Phillips-head screws.
Note the hammer in the recommended set contains a screwdriver set in the handle.
metspitzer wrote:

How about Robertson bit?

The article doesn't say that these 10 items are the be all end all of kitchen drawer gadgets, just the start of a pracitical bunch of tools.

I agree. It's not a kitchen junk drawer without a couple screwdrivers. A a cheap pair of pliars will crack any nut and will prove useful time and time again.
On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 17:15:29 -0500, in alt.home.repair, "HeyBub"

I taped a magnet to the end of a plastic chopstick.
We have a "toy set" of strong neodymium magnets and steel ball bearings. Naturally, one of the ball bearings found its way into the garbage disposal. A neodymium magnet scotch-taped to a chopstick was just the thing to fish it back out.
I have yet to determine how to retrieve a neodymium magnet stuck to the inside of a garbage disposal. Also, dollar-store scotch tape is not trustworthy.
HeyBub wrote:

NEVER venture :o) Those are some cool tools on the list.