Arkansas home was struck by an errant 155mm artillery round

"Brian Martin and his wife, Donna, were not at home when the ammunition round hit their home. They said they were picking up pieces of shrapnel all day.
“(There are) holes in my roof that you could fit a coffee cup in,” Brian Martin said.
Martin said about half of the trees’ bases were disintegrated in the blast. The damage makes the couple question how safe things are."
Video:
<https://tinyurl.com/nprprpq <http://www.4029tv.com/news/arkansas-national-guard-training-unit-fires-round-offpost-from-fort-chaffee/26368918?_escaped_fragment_=WzG8q #!WzG8q> IIRC a 155mm round weighs about 95 pounds (~14.6 pounds of TNT). A direct hit would likely have flattened that house, for sure.

The military base will probably miss a great opportunity for good civilian relations. They should have their grunts show up to help with the renovations, cleanup, etc. Even base commander come out to 'inspect' the damages and carry off some type of repair work. Not just have the military pay for damages but show up take that 'personal' interest. Go a long way toward good will.
RobertMacy posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

You mean take responsibility? HAH
--
Tekkie

Had to be an air burst and it may not even been a regular HE or frag round. I agree, not enough damage unless this thing was a couple hundred yards away when it went off.
On 6/9/14, 9:18 PM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

First Battalion, 129th Field Artillery, Harry Truman's battalion. He had trouble finding civilian employment because he couldn't see, so they put him in artillery.
I might have known they'd be from Missouri, where it's illegal to fire somebody for being a boozer. It's also legal to drink while driving and to serve alcohol to minors. It's legal for a minor to drink on the street as long as he has a cup instead of drinking from the bottle. It's illegal for any municipality to restrict the rights of drinkers.
The base commander ordered them to stop training. I think they need a lot more training. Maybe he wants them to continue their training in Missouri, where there rights will be protected.
On 6/9/2014 8:46 PM, J Burns wrote:

Although Missouri alcohol laws are some of the least restrictive in the United States you CANNOT drive while driving! The passengers can drink but the driver CANNOT. I also doubt if what you stated about minors drinking on the street is true.
On 6/9/14, 11:19 PM, IGot2P wrote:

In the Power and Light District, a minor can drink alcohol from a cup on the street. Adults can drink from the bottle.

Yeah, that does sound pretty restrictive.

We just fired BLPs in drills on the ship. (Blank Loaded and Plugged). That is a regular projectile with plaster instead of TNT and a plug where the fuse would go.
I suppose the Army might want to see where it goes beyond just splashing in the water tho.
On 06/09/2014 09:23 AM, Oren wrote:

Hi Oren,
At one time, didn't you aim those things at commies?
What kind of round did you use for target practice? What kind of a mess would a practice round have made of a house?
Seems that if the round had explosives in it, it would have flattened the place. Yikes!
-T
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
Oren wrote:

155mm round hit and house is still standing? It should be a pile of rubbles. Usually two men carry the round on a tray to load the round and sacks of gun power. They must live near a firing range. Old rounds are known to fall short of target. Happened when I served in the ROKA artillery unit. On annual routine field training exercise it happened and injured quite a few forward infantry men. That infantry battalion CO. was so mad at our Battalion CO calling all the name..... We returned remaining rounds back to logistics unit to dispose of them.
J Burns posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

Is it the mandatory red Solo cup?
--
Tekkie

On 6/10/14, 6:56 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

much a liberal attitude toward underage drinking as a liberal attitude toward certain bars that sell to minors.
Oren posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

I am sure this to keep the EPA happy. Heaven knows we don't don't want any erosion, except of our rights - that's ok.
--
Tekkie

And I know how to SNIP

Greg, if you have been reading my posts you know I have been shooting blanks for a LONG while.
--
Tekkie