Are these the same or is more expensive better?

Page 2 of 2
On 5/15/2016 5:41 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

That is called inline posting. It's common practice to respond within quoted text like that so comments are relevant and more conversational in nature.
Center posting is when your text is aligned center on the page from left to right.
--
Maggie

On Fri, 13 May 2016 22:58:57 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That's pretty much what I thought. I think even the ones with only 1 or 2 photos fit the same as the one with 8 photos.
BTW, I wanted to borrow a second big charger to crank the engine off of two in parallel (if I could have??) but a friend lent me instead a battery from a riding mower he was getting rid of. After draining the gas tank and the hose and the valve, I used that last fall to get it running for as much as 40 seconds, but only when I sprayed starter fluid, and even with continued spraying the engine would still stop.
I thought I could keep doing this and flush out the carb, but I didn't see any changes. For $22 I'll get a new carb and maybe clean the other some day.
The battery enabled me to check all the lights, etc and eveything works. Then a couple weeks ago my friend decided he needed the lawnmower to pull his new chipper, so I gave the battery back. A new one is coming Monday for $24.
(They actuallhy sold reconditioned versions of that camera for 200 (as well as 50) while new it was still sold for 100!!)
On Sat, 14 May 2016 00:04:42 -0400, Micky

Be carefull about using ether on 2 strokes. No oil in the fuel m,eans no lubrication to the engine.
On Sat, 14 May 2016 00:13:16 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Three times I read that as either, even though I call it ether too. And I'm wondering, either what or what? Okay, no ether on 2-stroke. Thanks There are all 4-stroke, I think. Mine is.
(Only called it starting fluid to avoid possible pedants here. )

Not the same as the other reply
On Sat, 14 May 2016 00:13:16 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Almost by accident I learned another factor. There's a scooter webforum that I'd forgotten about. But I went there and searched on carbur and read a couple posts. One said "I have a Keihin clone 18mm. I just upgraded to a 20mm. This shoud fit if you have a 139QMB 50cc engine." And I thought, Huh. I thought my intake was 40mm and output was 28.
So I asked, and they are talking about the carburetor throat, and I was referred to a thread from 13 months ago. It seems even in this cheap market, there are both 18 and 20mm carbs, though maybe the 20mm are not so cheap. (Where 18 and 20 are the inside diameter and 28 is the outside diam, around which the intake manifold is attached.)
Because they were talking about a lot of fake 20's, where they take an 18 and mill it 2mm bigger, but only at the exit, the last inch or so, but the butterfly is still 18, so it doesn't improve performance at all.
So I went back and looked at 5 of the 6 models I listed earlier, and three say they are 18 (two in their title and one in a measurement shown in red in a picture) and two don't say. None claim to be 20. Of the two that don't say, one says it's a model PD18J and the second is a PD18. The 18 might mean 18mm, or not, and the J-suffix probably means some little difference there.
The one I wanted with the most pictures says it's 18, and based on the picture, it has not been milled bigger. Another one has a plastic protective cap on the hole so you can't see, another one has so much reflection it's hard to tell, and the PD18 and 18J actually do look like they were milled bigger, but since they don't claim to be 20, so what. Maybe they used to claim that and got rebuked. One or 2 posters in the forum said they had complained to Ebay and Ebay refunded his money and shipping charge and didn't make him ship back the modified one. Maybe they punished the vendor....
That might account for these two models but I googled GY6 carburetor 20mm and there are about 6 of them, two on Amazon. Some prices in the $30's. I don't know why I didn't come across any of them before. The very first one didn't look like it was milled, but if they're cheats, they could be using an unmodified picture. (The thread listed some good vendors and bad, but I can't remember things like that. It doesn't matter, I'm not actually buying one.)
I've only been looking for fun, I'm sticking with 18, but this post is interesting "50s use a 18mm why a 20?? it is not going to do anything more than an 18mm jetted right. You people think slapping a bigger carb is going to give you something but unless you build the motor up quite a bit a bigger carb is not needed and will not give you anything but waste gas on you and make it harder to tune to get the motor to run right at all throttle positions. Alleyoop Read more: http://itistheride.boards.net/thread/4391#ixzz48c7q8Kzr " I suspect he's right.
Another guy claimed you could turn an 18 into a 20 with a Dremel tool!!!!
Another guy mentions 2 stroke motors, so i was wrong about that. Sorry.
Hmm. Those 20mm seem to come with "40mm Air Box Manifold. 20mm Intake Manifold."
But another carb in my original list said 38 input and I think that's what I have (not 40). And for the output, one in my original list said 18, but on mine it was hard to measure, hard to see. I guess I will take it apart before I buy the carb. In fact they wouldn't put the measurements in bright red if they were all the same.
On 05/14/2016 02:21 AM, Micky wrote:

Harley's use a 40mm; be a little overkill on your scooter.
On 05/13/2016 10:13 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Pretty slick idea to add lubrication to ether!
(Amazon.com product link shortened)