Are recessed medicine cabinet depth same as "nominal depth"?

We all know 2x4s and 2x6s are not 4" and 6" deep.

So if you see medicine cabinets that are supposed to be recessed into the wall and they advertise it as 4" deep cabinet or 6" deep cabinet, is it truely a 4" or 6" deep cabinet or is it smaller to account for the depth of a wall cavity for a wall with either 2x4 or 2x6 studs?

I will go to the store to measure it but I just thought if someone knows off hand or may be there is no "correct" answer.

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

Depth of the 'nominal' 2x4 stud, plus an assumed 1/2" layer of drywall or whatever. Not hard against the drywall in back, but you can count on it fitting. Most cabinets are only partially recessed- they usually sit out an inch or more, so the door can open. Only seen a few flush cabinets in my life. Most walls are not perfectly flat, and it would be hard to get them to look right.

Old ones with the razor blade slot in the back may be a little shallower, to give the blade room to fall. Note to remodelers- if the wall you are opening up has one of those, expect a pile of old blades in bottom of stud bay. A magnet helps- they will slice right through even leather gloves. (as a kid, as the youngest on crew, I always got assigned the demo work...) Plumbers in the old days hated those blade slots, because it was usually same bay as the pipes. Led to nasty surprises at times trying to work through a small hole under the sink, or from the closet behind.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

All the ones I've seen are designed to go into a standard 2X4 frame, or technically 3 1/2" deep.

Reply to
Mikepier