Applying Drywall with adhesive ??

I have wall with drywall in my basement with a bad job of wallpaper and panelling. I have removed the wall paper and pannelling only to find that the surface of the drywall is an eye sore. I would like to apply another layer of drywall - 1/2 in or 3/8 in . I noticed that the old drywall was screwed to a mix of 2 x 2 and 2 x 3 without any specific spacing. Where I cannot find wood to screw the new drywall to can I use an adhesive ?
Thnaks.
Certainly. It is normal practice to glue two layers of rock together with joint compound. There are special screws called laminates that are made for screwing 2 layers together. Go to USG site for more information.
<http://www.usg.com/navigate.do?resource=/USG_Marketing_Content/usg.com/web_files/products/prod_details/SHEETROCK_Brand_Taping_Joint_Compound.htm#top ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net