Applying Braille Markers to U.S. Highways

Blind Americans are at a great disadvantage, since they can not drive cars on U.S. Highways. Yet, these people could be traveling our roads and highways if all roads and highways had braille markings on their pavement. These braille strips would be attached to the pavement in the center of each lane. Blind drivers would have specially equipped cars, which have a hole in the floor, next to the drivers seat. The blind driver could then slip their hand into this hole, and read the braille markings on the road, telling them when to turn, the speed limit, and other valuable road information. The car would also speak the current speed as noted on the speedometer, and the language could be adjusted to speak English, Spanish, or other languages.
Why are we neglecting the Blind in America? They need to drive to their jobs, and need to get out to do some sightseeing too.
Support the Blind, insist that your community install braille road strips on all roads and highways.
On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 2:20:03 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

At least they would be able to drive to the existing Braille ATM's.

Correct, but all gas stations would need to have braille gas pumps too. As the price and gallon numbers change, there would be a rotating wheel, on the handle of the nozzle, with braille to feel how much gas was being put into the vehicle.
On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 2:20:03 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Be a nice guy and help out the next blind driver you encounter. Stand in the middle of the lane and point out the next turn they need to make.
On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 7:58:18 AM UTC-7, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Or act as a oral hood ornament calling out directions.
I take it the OP was making a joke but suspect he was serious.
On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 6:06:30 PM UTC-4, Harry K wrote:

I take it the OP was making a joke but suspect (know) he is an idiot.
On 10/6/2016 10:58 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

An 82 year old friend was just telling me he got his drivers license renewed. He was worried about the eye test because he has 20/50 vision but he passed. They also renewed the license for 8 years.
On 10/6/2016 7:10 PM, Frank wrote:

Good for him. Met a guy the other day. Thought hw as about 70 but he is 91. Still drives better than most and takes his boat out fishing deep sea. Hope I can do the same.
On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 9:47:35 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'm not sure of the age I would use, but at some point there should be a driving test required for anyone over say 65, maybe 70, 75. I'm well past middle age and you if want to start testing me now, feel free. Pull my license when it's no longer safe for me to be on the road.
I can't say for sure if I'll ever hand it in on my own...and I won't know until the time comes. If I won't, then someone should pull it for me. A road test is the only way to stop some people from driving.
On 10/6/2016 10:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

At 71 I still drive better than most. I hope I'm smart enough to know when I'm done. I do see some older people that should not be behind the wheel though. OTOH, I know some people that should not be driving at 30.
On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 11:09:24 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Would you be willing to be tested every few years as a means to keep those bad drivers off the road, as well as eliminate the possibility that you (and I) aren't smart enough to know when we're done?
On 10/6/2016 11:42 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Today I'm going to say yes. Ten years from now I may know but not be so willing to turn in my license. Testing at about 70 or 75 makes sense though.
On 10/6/2016 10:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Only test required in Delaware to get a drivers license renewed is eye test and you do it at the the renewal window just reading one line in a viewer. You can get 5 or 8 years which they say is random lottery. My wife got 8, I got 5.
But they can pull your license for some offense or maybe doctor says you cannot drive anymore. Don't know if doctors can report this to the state.
Classmate in Florida told us at a reunion that he had just bought a new car and doctor told him that he was not allowed to drive any more.
I've been taking the defensive driving renewal course every three year for insurance savings. They said that the average person stops driving about 5 years before the end of their life.
With the advent of self driving cars you might be able to drive for life. Just sit in the car and tell the car where to go. Sit back, turn the TV on, pop a beer and enjoy the ride.

He just need to find another doctor.
On 10/6/2016 1:16 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

I once donated an old car that would not run to the American Association for the blind. Told people that while it would not run, the radio still worked and they could sit and listen to it.