applying fertilizer

I fertilized my lawn for the first time. I borrowed my neighbour's drop spreader. When I returned it to him he asked if I did a perpendicular pass when applying. He mentioned that I would get lines in my grass...where the fertilizer would have been missed.

Well. I didn't realize that spreading fertilizer is like painting a wall. You would have to stare for a very long time to find the art in the design that I left (my yard shape is irregular). I thought that the fertilizer would spread in the soil after a rain...actually, I wasn't thinking...

How much time should laps before applying more fertilizer?

Matt

Reply to
Matt

I didn't catch where you live but I'd be re-doing it right now, here in N Ohio.

I'd be using a broadcast spreader instead of a drop, with no weed control..food only.

Run it at half rate, in both directions. Then get your lawnmower gassed up. :)

Reply to
Steveo

Thanks for the reply.

I'm in Eastern Ontario.

I cut the grass last Saturday. My back yard faces south...

Don't I risk burning if I re-apply so soon? Or does that happen only if there is weed control?

Thanks,

Matt

Reply to
Matt

With the cool spring weather I doubt you'll risk burning it.

Reply to
Steveo

About 2 months should be the minimum between applications. Personally, I fertilize once in spring, then twice in fall. Too much nitrogen, especially combined with hot weather and water promotes disease and fungus. The lawn may be a little less green, but more likely to have less problems.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

If it makes you feel any better my lawn is a mosaic of super-green splotches from early season repairs. Sure beats the mess that was there before. cj

Reply to
CJ

He's trying to fix streaks, He can do that now.

Reply to
Steveo

No, you risk buring the grass when applying too much...

Reply to
DIE SPAMMER !!!