Any problem converting well pump fuse protection to circuit breaker?

There's a pump house that sits away from the main house about 300 ft. Power comes down the hill from the main house to the pump house's ratty old fuse box that protects the well pump. I've been told by my friend that there's a 30A fuse in there. Friend wants me to add a light out there and I figure why not replace the fuse box with a little 30A main lug 2 circuit load center. (Square D QO2L30S ) However I read something about fuses being better at protecting motors than circuit breakers ??
-- Paul
I would imagine the well pump has motor protection built in. The bigger problem is whether or not you have the required neutral in your feed. Your garden variety 240 volt well pump would not require one

If I get out to the site and find that there's only a 2 wire 240 VAC circuit feeding the pump house, could a step-down transformer be used to tap off a 120 VAC circuit? I was looking at Square D's 2S1F transformer (2KVA would get me a 15A circuit ?)
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1H723
-- Paul

Sure, that would work, just be sure you have enough amperage for both the pump and whatever is going on the 120 volt circuit